American Long Rifles Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:03:28 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

View the Most Recent Posts
View the ALR Mission Statement
View ALR Rules and Policies
Donate to ALR via US Mail or PayPal

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  General discussion
| |-+  Accoutrements
| | |-+  hunting pouches
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: hunting pouches  (Read 6374 times)
T.C.Albert
Global Moderator

« on: June 24, 2008, 04:17:15 PM »

wow....I get to post the first post in the accoutrements....

It has to be about hunting pouches....
Ok...so who at the moment is making any hunting pouches?
T.C.Albert

A gentleman is a man who never hurts anyones feelings...unintentionally.
visit: www.thehuntingpouch.com
Flint Rock Rob

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 04:26:48 PM »

I'm going up to teach my friend's two boys how to make pouches this weekend. Should be fun!

-Rob Mertz
James Rogers

James Rogers

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 07:28:48 PM »

Starting a pouch for my 1740's Brooks fowling piece due in the fall. It's going to be much plainer and a little smaller than most associate with "fowler pouches" due to most all that are sold as such are 19th century shotgun bags. It will be of veg. tan and I will use the old saddle black concoction on it.

I am also developing a series of fowling/sporting related accoutrements for sale. They include pouches, shot bags, shot belts for the waiste, powder flasks, game bags, fancy horn tipped ramrods, etc.

Flint Rock Rob

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 11:59:05 PM »

Here's one I did after the Oregon Gunmakers Fair this year.

-Rob Mertz
lew wetzel
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 03:21:31 PM »

i am starting one out of elk and using hand forged buckle and rings...will post pics when i finish it.
T.C.Albert
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 07:27:01 PM »

Alright...ooraaa for the bag makers....
I have a couple of bags Im trying to finish for the CLA show...
I can post those up when done too...
Thats a great looking bag Capt. Jas...cant wait to see the other
gunners stuff too...

Lew...do you happen to know Andrew Knez jr. ?

T.C.Albert

(what if the holey pokey really is waht its all about?)

lew wetzel
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 07:46:22 PM »

t.c,i ran into a guy i served in the navy with at the gun builders class in lodi and his name andy.could this be him,his father was at the class.if so i would like to get ahold of him..
Candle Snuffer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 09:44:59 PM »

I didn't have any planned until I saw FlintRock Rob's picture.  Looks good and I feel the need to get the leather out!
Flint Rock Rob

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 12:44:42 AM »

I didn't have any planned until I saw FlintRock Rob's picture.  Looks good and I feel the need to get the leather out!

Snuffer - wow glad I was inspiring to someone  Grin

-Rob Mertz
Flint Rock Rob

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 02:10:34 AM »

Here are a couple more bags I made recently. Both are small bullet pouches and made of deerskin, as was the last bag I posted. All dyed with Tandy's EcoFlo dyes (no toxic fumes, nice to work with.) I did all four of these bags to try different bindings, dyes, stitching methods, and different linen threads I had available. All are linen lined.

-Rob Mertz
Flint Rock Rob

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 02:12:29 AM »

And finally, here's my first double pouch. Deerskin bag, sheepskin binding, doouble gussets, way too many pockets, and lots and lots of stitching! I was somewhat inspired by an antique game bag a participant had brought to the Oregon Gunmaker's Fair this year with green binding, but I did hold myself back from wrapping the buckle with tightly stitched leather like that original had.

-Rob Mertz
longcruise

Arvada, Colorado

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »

Tim, just finished a double pouch a week or so ago.  I played with the pattern in your book and used the sewing instructions to arrive at this.  Not really the same as your pattern but I'm happy with it.  It's a bit smaller than I wanted but lost my perspective when making the patterns.  Nevertheless, this will make a nice small caliber small game hunting bag and will be used as such.  Need a powder horn for it but that's another project.  Made a small patch knife along with it but have not decided how or where it will be attached or it may just go into a neck loop sheath.

This was supposed to be dyed with Feibings medium brown but when I retreived it from the back of the bench it had tipped over and most of the dye leaked out.  Sooo... I poured the bottle half full with denatured alcohol and shook it up.  Final finish is light and a bit splotchy which I kinda liked the look of.

My stuff can't compare with the professional grade stuff posted above but hope readers will take an "if he can do it so can I" attitude Wink

Mike Lee

Speak the truth... and ride a fast horse!
T.C.Albert
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 05:52:23 PM »

Those are each and every one all teriffic bags, wonderful work.
I like the blotchy finish you got there too Mike, and the craftsmenship looks great too.
Im really happy to see so many great bags on the first thread of a brand new
web site...."pouch makers rule!" Grin

Flint Rock Rob

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 12:37:36 AM »

Mike, that is a very nice bag. I certainly hope you don't think my stuff is professional grade, far from it! I tried for "splotchy/weathered" on the small brown bag, but was a bit too careful so didn't get it as mellow as yours came out.

Nice background for the photos too. If you want to add some color back there, just put a piece of colored paper behind that glass next time.

-Rob Mertz
longcruise

Arvada, Colorado

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 04:10:39 PM »

Good idea with the colored paper!  Thanks for your kind comments, they are appreciated.

Mike Lee

Speak the truth... and ride a fast horse!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length