Author Topic: Character Bag  (Read 10801 times)

nthe10ring

Character Bag
« on: July 19, 2008, 02:25:38 AM »
Didn't realize the forum had changed over till the other day, wondered why it was gettin a little slow.
I just finished this bag, its approximately 10 inches wide by 7 1/2 tall. Fashioned from cowhide and lined with pigskin,  scalloped detail on strap and bag with lots of character. Handsewn throughout. I had passed over this leather many times over probably 10 years or so as it would be difficult to work with but finally it spoke to me.

Regards
Jerry Fisher

Hope the photos aren't too large, first time posting on the new format.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:26:52 AM by nthe10ring »

TENdriver

Re: Character Bag
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 02:33:46 PM »
Jerry,
That's a great looking bag.  I usually prefer the plain Jane stuff but I really like the details in yours.

Thanks for posting.

BTW...there was some chat on photo size.  May not need to size them down like you did on the old board.  I tend to root around in folk's photo bucket hoping to see good resolution full size pictures of people's work.

Kevin H

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »
 Man I LIKE that bag and the straps are GREAT. Nice job, fine detail.

Tim C.

PS: Just looked again, outstanding stitching.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 02:50:16 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »
That is a beautiful bag!!  Looks like it would fit real nice with my English style American Fowler!!

Did you do all of that stitching by hand?  That is wonderful!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

nthe10ring

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 07:14:08 PM »
Thanks Ten, TimC, and TimB for the comments. As to the stitching, yes it is all by hand. On most of the bag I punch the holes at 6 to 7 stitches per inch and on smaller overlays sometime use 8,  on the insides ususally five. I like to guage the stitches and thread size to the particular scale of what Im sewing at the time.

Regards
Jerry Fisher

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:38:49 PM »
WOW!
Mike Lee

Peashooterjoe

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 04:03:34 AM »
Great looking bag, love the detailing of the scalloping on pouch and straps. Thanks for sharing.. PeashooterJoe..

El Mac

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 06:34:16 AM »
Absolutely fantastic work Jerry...wow!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 05:38:09 PM »
That is a beautiful bag!!  Looks like it would fit real nice with my English style American Fowler!!
Doc,you took the words right out of my mouth! Jerry, I like your work,very clean and precise.xlnt! I really liked the bags you posted on the old forum also. Can you post them over here?

nthe10ring

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 06:20:26 AM »
Sure Leatherbelly be glad to, heres a few:

Leatherbelly

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 07:22:46 AM »
 Thanks Jerry,
    That Getz fowler bag is outstanding and so are your copies. Send me one! LOL!! Don won't mind. Do you think it would look good with this gun?

I love you newest bag in the latest post. Works of art! Thanks again!

nthe10ring

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 07:55:48 AM »
Thanks for the accolades and nice gun there, matter of fact very nice indeed. As to the copies of Dons bag, the one with the stylized fox face on the lid,I think it was Steve Lallioff, (not sure I have the name right) that made those. I do have the pics that were posted filed away on the old hard drive and I just might have to make something in the spirit of that for myself one of these days.

Regards
Jerry Fisher
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:58:33 AM by nthe10ring »

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
Forgive me Jerry,
 Meds have a tendancy of messing me up.Got you and Steve mixed up.Sorry! Believe me,your work is second to none!
 The shot spout on the fowler bag,is it attached to the back or is it inside the bag pocket?

nthe10ring

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 05:11:11 PM »
Leatherbelly,
The shot pouch is attached to back of the bag but can be removed. This is not my computer im on right now , but ill post a pic of how it hangs when i get home tonight.

Regards
Jerry Fisher

Leatherbelly

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 05:20:26 PM »
 Jerry,
 I have a really nice bag for my Tenn. rifle but I'm not at all pleased with my fowler bag.Paid too much for a production bag and it's huge! Oh well, c'est la vie!

nthe10ring

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 06:19:17 AM »
Leatherbelly,
Here's the pics of the back of that Fowling bag and how the shot pouch hangs. I have made a few with the pouch and head as part of the bag, but just never liked how they looked, this was a compromise and the only one I did like that.

Regards
Jerry Fisher

Leatherbelly

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 08:50:58 AM »
Jerry,

I like the idea of having the option of taking it off or not. If you're on a round ball shoot with your fowler,no point in packing extra weight. Again,very nice!

Rickd

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 04:21:35 AM »
You do amazing work

nthe10ring

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 05:52:31 AM »
thanks

Jerry Fisher