Author Topic: hunting pouches  (Read 20969 times)

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
hunting pouches
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:17:15 PM »
wow....I get to post the first post in the accoutrements....

It has to be about hunting pouches....
Ok...so who at the moment is making any hunting pouches?
T.C.Albert
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

FlintRock Rob

Re: hunting pouches
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 11:26:48 PM »
I'm going up to teach my friend's two boys how to make pouches this weekend. Should be fun!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:28:48 AM »
Starting a pouch for my 1740's Brooks fowling piece due in the fall. It's going to be much plainer and a little smaller than most associate with "fowler pouches" due to most all that are sold as such are 19th century shotgun bags. It will be of veg. tan and I will use the old saddle black concoction on it.

I am also developing a series of fowling/sporting related accoutrements for sale. They include pouches, shot bags, shot belts for the waiste, powder flasks, game bags, fancy horn tipped ramrods, etc.

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 06:59:05 AM »
Here's one I did after the Oregon Gunmakers Fair this year.

lew wetzel

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:21:31 PM »
i am starting one out of elk and using hand forged buckle and rings...will post pics when i finish it.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 02:27:01 AM »
Alright...ooraaa for the bag makers....
I have a couple of bags Im trying to finish for the CLA show...
I can post those up when done too...
Thats a great looking bag Capt. Jas...cant wait to see the other
gunners stuff too...

Lew...do you happen to know Andrew Knez jr. ?

T.C.Albert

(what if the holey pokey really is waht its all about?)

lew wetzel

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 02:46:22 AM »
t.c,i ran into a guy i served in the navy with at the gun builders class in lodi and his name andy.could this be him,his father was at the class.if so i would like to get ahold of him..

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 04:44:59 AM »
I didn't have any planned until I saw FlintRock Rob's picture.  Looks good and I feel the need to get the leather out!

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:44:42 AM »
I didn't have any planned until I saw FlintRock Rob's picture.  Looks good and I feel the need to get the leather out!

Snuffer - wow glad I was inspiring to someone  ;D

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:10:34 AM »
Here are a couple more bags I made recently. Both are small bullet pouches and made of deerskin, as was the last bag I posted. All dyed with Tandy's EcoFlo dyes (no toxic fumes, nice to work with.) I did all four of these bags to try different bindings, dyes, stitching methods, and different linen threads I had available. All are linen lined.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:21:24 AM by FlintRock Rob »

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 09:12:29 AM »
And finally, here's my first double pouch. Deerskin bag, sheepskin binding, doouble gussets, way too many pockets, and lots and lots of stitching! I was somewhat inspired by an antique game bag a participant had brought to the Oregon Gunmaker's Fair this year with green binding, but I did hold myself back from wrapping the buckle with tightly stitched leather like that original had.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:20:01 AM by FlintRock Rob »

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 08:45:23 PM »
Tim, just finished a double pouch a week or so ago.  I played with the pattern in your book and used the sewing instructions to arrive at this.  Not really the same as your pattern but I'm happy with it.  It's a bit smaller than I wanted but lost my perspective when making the patterns.  Nevertheless, this will make a nice small caliber small game hunting bag and will be used as such.  Need a powder horn for it but that's another project.  Made a small patch knife along with it but have not decided how or where it will be attached or it may just go into a neck loop sheath.

This was supposed to be dyed with Feibings medium brown but when I retreived it from the back of the bench it had tipped over and most of the dye leaked out.  Sooo... I poured the bottle half full with denatured alcohol and shook it up.  Final finish is light and a bit splotchy which I kinda liked the look of.

My stuff can't compare with the professional grade stuff posted above but hope readers will take an "if he can do it so can I" attitude ;)

Mike Lee

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 12:52:23 AM »
Those are each and every one all teriffic bags, wonderful work.
I like the blotchy finish you got there too Mike, and the craftsmenship looks great too.
Im really happy to see so many great bags on the first thread of a brand new
web site...."pouch makers rule!" ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:55:46 AM by T.C.Albert »

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 07:37:36 AM »
Mike, that is a very nice bag. I certainly hope you don't think my stuff is professional grade, far from it! I tried for "splotchy/weathered" on the small brown bag, but was a bit too careful so didn't get it as mellow as yours came out.

Nice background for the photos too. If you want to add some color back there, just put a piece of colored paper behind that glass next time.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:00:44 AM by FlintRock Rob »

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 11:10:39 PM »
Good idea with the colored paper!  Thanks for your kind comments, they are appreciated.
Mike Lee

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 05:03:53 AM »
Tim,
On your question about who is making bags -- I have more than a dozen "Bear" Cub Scouts making hunting pouches as their major summer craft project.  Simple "D" shaped bags, unlined except for deerskin on the beavertail flap.  Small inside pocket.  The parents are helping, but Tuesday night the boys were having a great time punching the holes for the stitching.  When they are done, I'll post a group shot of boys and bags.
Larry Luck

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 05:04:15 PM »
Ok...so who at the moment is making any hunting pouches?
T.C.Albert

TC, I'm working on one, #2.  Talked with you on another site about the first one, how the vinegar dye affected the deer skin I tanned.  I'm doing this one the same way, except all whitetail hide without the sika fur flap like the first one I made.  Went off a pattern in your book, sorta, but made it a bit bigger.  I'll post pics when I get it done...

Dave
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 08:00:27 PM »
I'll be starting another before the summer is out.  When depends on the neighborhood feral cats ;D
Mike Lee

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 04:04:58 AM »
Longcruise,
I've heard about getting a cat out of a bag but never the reverse! ;D
Dare ya to put the face on the flap!
Larry Luck

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 02:03:54 AM »
Larry, yur reading my mind! :o
Mike Lee

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 04:39:23 AM »
Here are some bags that I made for my daughters and grandson for Christmas. They are small double bags.  The pattern came from Tim's book, I modified the flaps on a couple of them.
Tim Crosby
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:59:13 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Poor Bull

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 02:15:01 PM »
A few of my recent efforts.  Based on Tim's pattern.  Modified with one piece back and flap.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.

Powder River Let'er Buck

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 08:09:44 PM »
Jeeminy Christmas....you guys are making some great bags....and not just one at a time either it seems...
thats a whole lot of stitchin....thanks for sharing the pictures...wonderful stuff
T.Albert

Marty

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 05:16:08 AM »
Mr. Albert

Ok there are alot of firsts here. First time I even posted a pic and first time showing anybody one of my bags.

I really enjoyed your book. It helped me quite a bit. My only question is how do i get the leather more pliable? I thought about soaking them in "neats foot oil".

Marty

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 02:07:23 AM »
Dont "soak" it in neats fot oil, that could actually ruin the bag...if the bag seems too stiff, a "light" application of neats foot oil with a finger tip or soft rag to the smooth side every month or so will eventually soften the leather quite alot  with a bit of use and time, especially time.
(Note:be sure you store the used oily rag in an air proof sealed jar or something so it doesnt spontaneously combust as it dries).....I also use mink oil rubbed into the leather, especially the seams, and will even work it with my finger tips it into the rough inside of the pouch to assist softening a particurlarly stiff outfit if needed....lately some of the "craftsman" grade veg tan leathers seem to be especially stiff right after wetting,sewing and finishing, but they seem to soften right up if given the above treatments and some time....not as good as better grades of leather, but well enough I think.

On that note: they say some of the lower priced commercial veg tans are now coming up from south of the border and are kind of "iffy" right off the bat, too dry and a bit "off" from the get go, so I have started to buy only the higher end live oak tans, and plan to use dealers like "Wickett and Craig" who sell only consistently good quality American leathers exclusively...initially they cost more per square foot, but in the end I really think its worth it and feel much more comfortable ordering and using it. At least I know what will arrive and what the quality of my finished project is likely to be. Its also worth noting that veg tan leathers are just plain stiffer than chrome type tans naturally, and will never get crumply soft, especially the heavier wt. stuff, say in the 5~6 oz range and higher...also note that belly leather will tend to be alot softer in hand than sholder stuffs, but bellies can stretch, or cheaper grade belliy cuts can actually uncontrollably shrink...each hide is a bit different, but finding a dealer that can give you predictable and consistent quality is more than half the battle, at least it has been for me lately anyway.

Hope that helps some...and your pouches look great, thanks for sharing the pictures.
T.C.Albert