Author Topic: Photo's at Norris Show  (Read 13287 times)

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Photo's at Norris Show
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:54:34 AM »
Took some pic's yesterday.  Hope to put some names to faces on ALR, and a couple of surprises.
Mel Henkla cutting the Cheese ;D

Our fearless leader examining a Hershel House rifle built around 1968, early in his career.
Hershel House, as if any of you wouldn't know this
Jim Chambers, Mike Torchino, and ed Rayle, discussing the Greenhill formula
Tom Patton

Heinz, with Guy Monfort on their way to the Hero's exhibit for Sgt. York
Jan Risor doing some of her amazing work, that will we so much enjoy on the Blog site

Another of Jan shooting the early House rifle.  She took easily more than fifty pic's of it, and did the same with all the stuff she shot all day long.  She's a perfectionist, and we get to see only the tip of the iceburg of the fantastic photo's we see.  We owe Jan and Art our appreciation of their skills.
Art blowing his horn, an owl call, really cool. bought a cool pick, and brush from him.
This is me with Hershel, and my House rifle, which now belongs to another ALR member.
Ken Guy and another ALR member, that I now can't remember his name.  My plan was to get everyones name tag to get their name.  Oh well.

Ken Guy's beautiful spouse.  Boy she puts up with a lot, but he lets her shop for antiques.

Eric Gibby from Arkansas, known as Gibster on our site.

Jerry Nobel, You know him from his great Southern rifle books.
Most of my gun pics are of tigger guards, and such, but I'll post some later.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Photo's at Norris Show
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:39:15 AM »
Bill,

How come you didn't take my picture? ???   You came by my table several times.

Mark E.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:09:21 AM »
Great pictures, looks like it was a great show.   Where is Norris, Tenn.?     Just curious, wondering how far I would have to
drive to get there............Don

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:02:55 AM »
Don,

Norris is just north of Knoxville.    You would just come down I-81 until it turns into I-40.   Take I-640 around to the west and get on I-75 North.  Norris is about 20 minutes up I-75.   I figure that it would take you 10-12 hours depending on how many stops you make.

Mark E.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:13:06 PM »
Mark, I'm sorry I missed you.  I started to get pic's of everyone, and then I got some business calls, and had to leave about 4:30.  I am gonna give you a call about one of your pouches.  I had a great time, and I'll be back.  This was my fourth time to the museum, but the first time I wasn't rained out, and got to really look over the village.

Bill
Bill Knapp

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 04:27:40 PM »
The gentleman standing next to me in Bill's photo is James Dancy.

It was nice getting to see everyone and have face to face conversations.  I was really surprised at how many ALR folks were there.    I missed last year and was also surprised at how this show has grown in a couple of years.   Wayne and the KRA folks do a great job putting this show together.  Thanks to Wayne for his efforts.  

I also have to comment on how hard Jan Riser works at these shows.  From start to finish she is non-stop talking pictures for the contemporary makers blog.

Here's the Contemporary display that Ian Pratt put together.  I think he started out with hopes of filling up one table and ended up with 3.  As a builder I love seeing contemporary work displayed in the same room with originals.  It's humbling when you think of the conditions they worked under compared to today. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 04:35:36 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 04:30:15 PM »
It was a great show this year, and the location is wonderful.  The Museum of Appalachia is a very unique place that I first visited about 20 years ago, and have loved ever since.  The show is a great chance to see some of the great southern rifles.  Many that are not shown in any books.

Thank you very much to the Elliots for coordinating this great show and inviting ALR members.  It was great seeing you other guys too - nice to shake hands with folks that you usually only get to excange e-mails with.

Guy

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 09:47:38 PM »
I had attended all the Norris shows up to a couple of years ago when Wayne took over from Buford Blanton. I always enjoyed going there but had been unable to attend for the last couple of years. This years show was great and I really enjoyed meeting so many of our ALR members. I believe there may have been as many or more ALR members at this show as there were at the CLA show last year!

Wayne, thank you and Mrs Elliott for hosting such a great show. I hope to be back next year.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:12:52 PM »
I really wanted to get to this show but I had a prior commitment to the Fort Frederick event. Turns out I had to miss that one as well. At least some of my work got to visit the Tenn. show thanks to Ian.

James 

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 11:49:41 PM »
Gentlemen, thank you for your kind words and for your support of the Tennessee Kentucky Rifle Show.

The Tennessee show has been a favorite of mine since I started going 30 years ago shortly after Robin Hale began the show, and my wife Boo and I are delighted to work to make it continue to happen.  We receive wonderful support from Buford and Barbara Blanton, Andy Mock, Henry Bishop, Randal Pierce and many others who work behind the scenes to make it a significant and enjoyable show.  Collectors travel to the Museum of Appalachia from such places as Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Virginia and, yes, even Tennessee  :)  to display their best longrifles.  Although the show's focus will continue to be on antique Southern rifles (fine Northern rifles are welcome, too), we enjoy featuring the work of contemporary makers who continue the tradition, and we are grateful to Ian Pratt for coordinating this year's contemporary makers display. 

Mark you calendars now for next year's show, April 22-23, 2011.  In a few months we will post detailed information on ALR.  Come join us for another great show!

Wayne Elliott
Wayne Elliott

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:13:21 AM »
And it was great!  Wonderful, place, wonderful weather and wonderful people!! humbling to say the least.  Wayne and Boo made it really warm and friendly from the minute you walk in!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline gibster

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 04:32:00 AM »
It was a great show this year.  It was a pleasure putting faces to names that I see here on the site.  My wife and I have been coming for about 5-years now, and it is a show that I highly recommend for all ALR members.  There is so much to see and learn here.  You have an opportunity to meet and talk with collectors and builders alike.  The opportunity to handle original and contemporary rifles of this caliber is priceless.  It is about a 12-hour drive for us to attend, and is well worth the effort.  We are already looking forward to next year.
Gibster

Ephraim

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 06:18:38 PM »
It was my 3rd time at the show it is better every year. Maybe next year I will be able to set up . I love the museum and go every chance I get I don't live to far but it would be worth the trip however far you would have to travel. lots to see and enjoy.
Ephraim

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 05:43:44 AM »
  Attention fans of great old Southern rifles -  if you didn't make it this year, grab a can of spray paint and mark next year's show dates real big on the wall next to your calendar. Don't miss it.  A lot of these guns don't ever make it to any of the other shows, here's your opportunity to see them up close and personal and learn the history from the owners. Excellent show this year, thanks Wayne and Boo and everybody for this great event.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 07:05:09 AM »
Bill,

I don't know if you're the corresponding secretary or historian for the ALR but you should be!  Thanks for documenting the show pictorially and sharing them with those of us who could not attend the show.  The pictures are very clear and it's nice to put a face to the members whose posts we read reguarly.  Looking forward to your gun pics.  Thanks again.   

Dan
Dan Akers

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 02:36:23 PM »
Art and Jan have had some great photos on the Contemporary makers blog the last couple of days.  Lot of pieces you will not see anywhere else.  If you haven't already looked, it's worth your time to check them out.
There's pictures this morning of the double box E. TN rifle.  Looked a lot like a Baxter Bean to me.  It also had a toe plate box! 

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »
My buddy and one of my flintlock building mentors, Joe Bogle, made it to the show. He said it was an emotional experience seeing and holding the Bogle rifle for the first time.

When I called to see how the show went he was impressed by the great group of guys there and how well he was treated by everyone he met.

There is another Bogle rifle bing built by the current Joe Bogle as soon as all the parts come in.

I don't know if any of you guys in attendance drove down the road toward Norris Dam to the Lenoir museum. There were a few southern rifles on display in the museum last time I was there. I was raised on just over the hill from the Lenoir museum and the grist mill so I know the area well.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:32:47 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 06:46:41 PM »
I met Mr. Bogle while visiting the orginal rifle at the show.  Nice guy.

Jim Hayes from Ohio also had a Bogle rifle on display.

I still have one of Myron Carlson's copies of the Bogle guard and patchbox.  They are going on a fantastic piece of curly maple from Knob Mountain, with a 46-inch Rayl 47 caliber barrel, that I got from another friend from ALR who left us a few years ago.  Sort of a special project but it will be a gun based on the original Bogle.  The stock is one of Knob Mountain's Fordney patterns, which will work just fine by taking a bit off the toeline to straighten it a bit.  The butt is almost 6-inches high so there is lots of room to play with.

GM

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 08:44:20 PM »
I made it down on Friday, the first for me. I wish I could have stayed for the Baxter Bean rifle on Satureday. Next year maybe things will be going smoother for me and I'll be able to be there both day's. If you like southern rifle's you should make it at least once. Some very nice and different guns there.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 10:36:41 PM »
Ok, Here's some more pic's.  Sorry Brian Barker for the fuzzy pic of you and your wife.  Brian had a beautiful knife, and poll hawk in the contemporary display.

Interesting patchbox.

The guest of Honor, The Bean rifle, complete with accessories. The accessory case pic was bad due to glare.  Everyone wanted someone to take it off of full cock.

interesting toe box for jags, or worms

beautiful guard

Hard working crew, holding up the side of the museum, a very important job, and there were plenty of volunteers to keep it up.  It is Tennessee though, the Volunteer State ;D
That's all for now

Bill
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:38:48 PM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 12:55:28 AM »

This is Joe Bogle holding the ca. 1795 rifle made by his gggggrandfather, Joseph Bogle.
He said it was an emotional experience and it was a highlight of the show for me that Joe had that opportunity.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »
Joe and his nephew Danny have been building BP rifles for years, long before he found out about his gggrandfathers work.

Genetics is an interesting thing as a trait is passed from one generating to the next.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:27:20 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 06:49:10 PM »
Bill that was my daughter. I don't know if that means you think I look that young or she looks that old.  Either way I'm supprised my mug didn't break you camera. ;D

Jefferson58

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 03:42:22 AM »
Many thanks to Ian Pratt for the contemporary Southern makers table, and for displaying my work. I wish I could have made it to the show, but Jan and I were on vacation that week. Folly Beach, SC. was just too hard to miss.

It looks like there were too many incredible pieces there! Hopefully next year I will make it.

Jeff

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »
Looks like the picture of Joe and his GGGrandfather's gun has dissapeared. I will put it back up so Joe can see it.