Author Topic: Your favorite patch lube and y  (Read 22294 times)

Offline Maven

Re: Your favorite patch lube and y
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »
I too have tried the spit patch as an alternative to pricey commercial lubes, but with mixed results.  After my last 2 range sessions with 2 different, but accurate rifles (and spit patches), I was sorely disappointed as I got patterns rather than groups.  It eventually dawned on me that when using the wet spit patch, I'd also changed my loading routine.  Namely, I no longer wiped the bore after firing and again after seating the new charge, which I always did with other lubes.  Time and deteriorating weather conditions didn't allow me to test accuracy using the wet spit patch, but wiping as I'd always done.  That remains for another day. :-\
Paul W. Brasky

flintlock

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
I use "artificial spit" aka Ballistol mixed with water about a 6 or 8 to 1 ratio.

Is the ratio 6-8 to 1 Ballistol to water, or water to Ballistol? ???

Thanks

Flintlock

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 05:50:57 AM »
I mixed up a batch with 1/3 bear oil, 1/3 crisco, 1/3 wonder lube. Mixed it all up and melted it in microwave, then mixed in a tub of JB Bore cleaner thinking that the ultra fine silica grit in the JB would polish the bore every shot. I dont really know if it worked that way as the bores didnt look any different when I eventuly ran out of the stuff, but it did work ok as a patch lube with no unusual fouling.    Gary

Offline Acorn Mush

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
Is the ratio 6-8 to 1 Ballistol to water, or water to Ballistol?  ???

Flintlock, they are referring to 6 to 8 parts water to 1 part Ballistol.
Consectatio pro excellentia in mediocris

nc_cooter

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »
 Total ML newbie questions-----WW fluid/ neatsfoot oil mix ?'s. How much oil mixed with the WW fluid? How wet do you leave the patches? Is Prestone deicer WW fluid OK?
Thanks, Mike

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 05:42:06 PM »
About 1" in a gallon jug of liquid. Use olive oil, neetsfoot oil or whatever oil you want. Some use liquid soap - I quit due to the chemicals in soap these days. Didn't hurt my barrels when I used soap, but the oil works - so that's what I use.  Patches are very WET not damp or otherwise.  Even when using spit - the patches are wet- almost drippng wet.  As you're shooting within a min. or so of loading, it doesn't seem to hurt the powder.
For hunting, use just oil or wild animal grease.  Grease or oil tried from interior fat is higher in oil content than fat from the outside of the critter.

Offline satwel

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »
After a lot of experimentation, I've found spit is the best lube for target shooting - when you fire right after loading. Especially with precut patches that I can put in my mouth. Spit delivers the tightest groups combined with fastest cleanup.

If I'm going to cut patches at the muzzle, I dampen a strip of patch material with jojoba oil the day before so it's evenly distributed throughout the cloth. Performance is comparable to spit, just more work.

stoat

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 09:31:09 PM »
Frizzen,

Do you use that water/oil combo wet or dry?

(I use 2 oz. water soulable cutting oil to 32 oz. water.)

Thanks,

smd

Daryl

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 11:32:53 PM »
I notice some guys use dry patches - ie: lubing the patches then letting them dry.  I suspect they also have to wipe often. We use wet patches and never have to wipe.  The top shooters at Hefley Creek Rondy shoot wet patches and never have to wipe.

Friend of mine is working on a lube that shoots cleanly when allowed to dry - still in experimentation stage, I believe.  Some of the ingredients are difficult go come by. I'm still collecting ingredients before I can test.

timM

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 05:16:27 AM »
I have found superb consistency with a spit patch, useful for range work.  Any of you serious accuracy guys tried Sperm Whale oil?  It's hard to find, ….....imo nothing better.  Respectfully. tim

beleg2

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 02:51:42 PM »
About 1" in a gallon jug of liquid. Use olive oil, neetsfoot oil or whatever oil you want. Some use liquid soap - I quit due to the chemicals in soap these days. Didn't hurt my barrels when I used soap, but the oil works - so that's what I use.  Patches are very WET not damp or otherwise.  Even when using spit - the patches are wet- almost drippng wet.  As you're shooting within a min. or so of loading, it doesn't seem to hurt the powder.
For hunting, use just oil or wild animal grease.  Grease or oil tried from interior fat is higher in oil content than fat from the outside of the critter.

Good point Daryl!
I have some pig grease get some 5 years ago and it is in perfect condition.
I get it from the fat around the kidney and I did not put it over the fire but use boiling water so it never get over boiling water t°.
Hope this helps.
Thanks
Martin

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 03:45:14 PM »
I use the water souable oil & water mix wet.    Well damp.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 09:10:17 PM »
Anybody ever tried squeezing a teenager's face to get lube?  ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Richard/Ga.

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 09:47:33 PM »
I've been using Stumpy's Moose Snot for several years.  It doesn't dry out like some of the commersial grease type lubes, doesn't get too thin when the weather is hot, or get too hard to use in our winters.

You can find the recipie by searching for "stumpy's moose snot".

Richard/Ga.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 01:15:21 AM »
Anybody ever tried squeezing a teenager's face to get lube?  ;D
Well not her face ;)

Daryl

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 03:46:08 AM »
ROGER - behave.

roundball

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 04:31:35 AM »
In case anyone is interested, the best price I've found on Hoppes No.9 Plus BP Solvent & Patch Lube is buying 10 packs of 8oz bottles at Cheaper-Than-Dirt.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/87219-1.html

Daryl

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 05:59:53 AM »
RB- if I could get the local store's supplier to stop saying Hoppe's doesn't make it, I'd be 1/2 way to solving my commercial patch lube quandary.

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »
I'm amazed at the number of concoctions created for patch lube. And all this time I thought spit or bear grease were the norm :-) Thanks for all the info .. .Bill

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »
And just think; "I once thought Crisco was the best thing going..."
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:44 PM »
LHV...I still got some..for the range.  Presoaked Bear grease or Ballistol pacthes for hunting..   Spit works, but I don't like the cloth in my mouth.... been using linen lately for patc material.  Seems it was pretty much available in 18th century while cotton was very dear.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Leatherbelly

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2010, 01:38:45 AM »
 Interesting stuff. I've been using winter windshield washer as a medium or base for my concoctions. When Daryls said that bottled dishsoap has other nasty chemicals in it, I switched to "Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap" as a lubricant for my lube. This soap is guaranteed to be absolutely organic veg (castile) soap. So far accuracy has been good and cleanup a breeze.