Author Topic: tutorial for forging a lock?  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
tutorial for forging a lock?
« on: September 05, 2008, 03:21:36 AM »
does one of these exist? maybe even a video? i am about ready to set my smithy back up and would love to make my own lock especially since i am planning on making a jager for my next project and want something that isnt readily available. any pointers are greatly appreciated, also anyone who hasnt yet needs to by the jager book jim Chambers is selling, its a beautiful book
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: tutorial for forging a lock?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 04:48:18 AM »
The closeest thing to a tutorial I know of is the article published in Volume I of the Journal of Historical Armsmaking Technology, 1985, NMLRA and WKU. It is often available on Ebay. It covered forging, filing, finishing, etc. using 18th-century methods.

There was also a follow-up in Volume V but it dealt only with cock forging and is super hard to find in the used market.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 05:04:05 AM »
Pryor Mountain Bill had a booklet on forging gun locks and it is still available through the mail order supplier, "Footprint of the Largest Wild Canid" (they don't like to be linked, etc., so I am merely respecting their wishes by alluding to them indirectly).  Of course you'd need to be a journeyman level blacksmith to consider it.
Andover, Vermont

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:47:49 PM »
Pryor Mountain Bill had a booklet on forging gun locks  Of course you'd need to be a journeyman level blacksmith to consider it.

Not so. One only needs allot of material, often lots and lots of material, allot of coal, often lots and lots of coal, and allot of time to spend learning the skills and hammer control required to forge gunparts...and lots and lots...and lots of patience. ;D

Oh, and it is MUCH easier, MUCH less time consuming, MUCH less expensive, and MUCH easier on the psyche and the psyche of the wife and kids,  to learn the requisite techniques   by "forging" modeling clay lock parts to a predetermined pattern, using miniature hammers and anvils bought at yard sales and flea markets, prior to firing up the forge.

However, a journeyman class smith can do it in less time with fewer meltdowns.  :o

Just kinda thinkin'...typing out loud, so to speak.
J.D.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:59:12 PM by J.D. »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:18:55 PM »
I've burned up some iron in my day, struggling to get it to the right shape.  If you can forge  a pair of tongs, a pair of scissors, a knife, and a gunworm from big stock then you can probably forge lock parts.  I never did get those tongs the way I wanted them to turn out.  Very "upsetting"  and can "draw" the spunk right out of a fella.  It gets pretty hard sometimes and can lead to a bad "temper" (a little blacksmith humor there).

Andover, Vermont

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:47:33 PM »
Rich,
Are you aware of the  Blacksmiths Association of Missouri, BAM for short.
www.bamsite.org

There are some very good smiths in the membership that can help you deal with the issues associated with making those items. One member is a psychiatrist that can help with other issues.  :)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 01:15:52 AM »
Good info there.  If they can create free time evenings and weekends, then I'll really be thankful!
Andover, Vermont