Author Topic: "Earliest" dated longrife  (Read 16263 times)

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: "Earliest" dated longrife
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 04:27:05 AM »
One and the same, Eric. I had forgotten the curious shape of the guard, but you have described it. The new owner had it changed to a narrow brass guard with Fordney like engraving on it, which was then replaced with the one we see on it today. The stepping in the wrist was minimized, as well. One has to wonder what was going through the minds of the owner, and most especially,the restorer who would agree to vandalize what is perhaps the most important rifle anyone knows about.
Dick

jwh1947

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 10:46:47 PM »
Good thread.  Allow me to make light.  Back in the day, around 5:00 pm at the annual KRA meeting, the old masters (god rest their souls) would congregate in one of those mold-ridden rooms at Carlisle and pull out a bottle of Bourbon.  The words were uttered yearly, "Tell me you've never seen a  " ......" and next year, someone known to us will surface with one."  To which someone else always retorted, "Show me a 1740 dated rifle and next year someone known to us will present a 1739 date."

Come to think of it, the oldest PA piece I have in my database is likely from Christian's Spring.  Also, you men seem to have a grasp on the issue...where would you place the one signed Andreas Albrecht...the one that Alan Gutchess correctly restored?  As for dated guns, the above thread hits the major issues.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »
Here's a German gun with a wood guard from about 1760:

Here's one from about 1820:

;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."