Author Topic: New horn by G Elsenbeck  (Read 5983 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

New horn by G Elsenbeck
« on: September 06, 2008, 12:16:31 AM »
Here's a horn I just completed.  Initially started out as a York county screwtip but, alas, I nicked a couple of threads on the horn so now it is permanent.  Arrrrggghhh.  Hate when that happens.  Otherwise it looks okay.  However, traditional it may not be.. The base plug is Claro walnut (my interpretation) and is hollowed out while the applied tip is turned from Gabon Ebony.  I believe wood was used more often than one might suspect as finding the right horn tip with the right color can be like looking for the holy grail. 
Any thoughts on the materials used, etc?  Critique always welcomed.   It will probably end up on ebay today or tomorrow.  I have a smaller one I'll show later.
Gary

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 12:26:46 AM by G. Elsenbeck »
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: New horn by G Elsenbeck
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 05:12:31 PM »
 Looks good to me, nice job.

Tim C.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:38:12 AM »
Very nice.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »
Very nice looking horn indeed.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

BPB

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 12:56:11 AM »
  I'll tell ya fellas, that horn is so light! 

He makes pouches also!!

bpb

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 08:53:25 AM »
I believe wood was used more often than one might suspect as finding the right horn tip with the right color can be like looking for the holy grail. 
Any thoughts on the materials used, etc?

Gary,

I have no idea how many screw tips were made from wood rather than horn. However, I believe you are looking at this from a 21st century perspective which may be putting a slant on your thinking.

I know that, in todays world, a lot of horners are having problems with finding suitable horns to make into powder horns. The people who have been able to find a supply of horns are selling them at inflated prices which usually preclude a horner buying a large supply of horns at one time. On the other hand, during the 18th century, horns seem to have been readily available to professional horners and the horn factories. These professional horners and horn factories most likely had hundreds of horns out back in a shed or stored in the back of the shop. I believe there was no "looking for the holy grail" back then. A short walk to the shed out back or the back room of the shop or factory would reveal horns that were suitable to make screw tips from.

Black horn material for making screw tips and applied tips is rather easy to find. Instead of using ebony wood, just "Google" knife making supplies and look for horn "rounds" that the knife makers use for making round knife handles. The rounds are usually 4" to 4-1/2" long and come in various diameters.  Example:

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=587_588_598_866&products_id=1245

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
Yes Randy it is a current perspective.  I've also purchased 'horn rolls' from a couple of sources and have learned to be careful from whom to buy them from.  I've had one from one batch sent that was warped and from another had two just about blow apart on the lathe because of air pockets.  Those having white streaks are ones I try not to use.  But, when finishing one they look great.  Pen maker suppliers are another source for getting rolls as well.
Anyone out there know where one can pick up a 'sack' full of horns?

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 08:22:36 PM »
Gary,

Here is another thought, bison horns are relatively cheap in comparison to other horns and if you buy cow bison horns rather than bull bison horns they usually have a longer solid tip that could be used to make black screw tips. The cow bison horns are a lot cheaper than the bull bison horns. I have never tried using bison horn for screw tips, but I have maybe a dozen in the shop and may try it the next time I need a black screw tip.

Since my old horn supplier no longer handles horns, I am also looking for a supplier of horns. I could use a couple of big sacks full myself.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 05:40:08 AM »
Randy, I will definitely keep an eye out for cow bison horns.  I seem to recall seeing some on ebay.  Thanks for the tip.