Author Topic: Interesting German Rifle online  (Read 4095 times)

Offline DaveM

Interesting German Rifle online
« on: September 06, 2008, 04:20:58 AM »
There is an interesting German rifle on the David Condon website, noted as circa 1750 under "other longrifles" near the bottom of the list.  I would have guessed somewhat earlier.  Unique patchbox.  Looks like a cheekpiece on both sides of the butt.

Offline Dave B

Re: Interesting German Rifle online
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 05:47:06 PM »
DaveM,
I would be inclined to agree with you. It looks much earlier than that, say 1690's more like. My book on Dutch guns shows several examples that have the same achitecutre and they are dated to the 1680's. I refer to the more roiunded over butt plate, squared off comb, ballistraded rod pipes, the mannerist carving at the wrist as well as the large wheellock style trigger guard. I found this just the other day and added it to my German connection photos. Its is well worth the look.

Dave B
Dave Blaisdell

Offline DaveM

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 09:08:56 PM »
Dave B - another detail I noticed is the barrel tang bolt - it appears that it comes through the stock from beneath and terminates at the barrel tang, which I believe is a fairly early detail.  Not sure when this trend ended but seems rather unusual.
DaveM

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 11:16:37 PM »
Very neat, very Prussian, and very much closer to about 1700.  ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:35:30 AM »
     Chris, how common do you think that patch box in the bottom of the butt was? 
              Dan

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 07:16:08 PM »
Not at all common, but you will see one done this way from time to time.  I think of the very few I have seen (photos), all of them were from the northern regions of Germany.

Note the hole in the front of the triggerguard bow where the sling swivel stud once was.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."