Re: Ristol
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:00:27 AM »
Cute!

Looks like some kind of Buggy Rifle.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »
Kind of looks like a TAINT!    Taint a rifle, taint a pistol and taint good for what either of them does.   Looks like nice workmanship, but rater falls in the category of "Firearm Curiosities."   I don't mean any disrespect, you have the talent,why didn't you make one or the other?   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

40Haines

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »
Excuse me guys.

This is not my build.

I just posted it as a curiosity, and that it is.

Except for the fact that it is virtually worthless.

I think its lines and proportions are pretty good.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 04:23:14 PM »
Front half = pistol / back half = fire wood.

ottawa

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »
Someone had an itch to scratch :D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 05:03:29 PM »
Kind of looks like a TAINT!    Taint a rifle, taint a pistol and taint good for what either of them does.   Looks like nice workmanship, but rater falls in the category of "Firearm Curiosities."   I don't mean any disrespect, you have the talent,why didn't you make one or the other?   

Some of the New England buggy rifles using picket bullets were remarkably accurate even at 300+ yards according to Chapman in "The Improved American Rifle"
I get the urge to put a removable stock on  pistol now and then.
But I get the urge to do one with a skeletonized brass butt and have it nickle plated, so would be late buggy rifle style if I did.
These take down guns were popular for train travel and such since they would fit in a smaller case than a full size rifle/gun. This was the reason so many take down guns were marketed by the late 19th century gun makers. Winchester etc. But until fairly recently it was possible to travel with firearms in most areas of the nation without causing the sheep to panic.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »
Here is a coaching gun from 1765 by Benjamin Griffin:

Its not a takedown but..................
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Michael

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 02:05:36 PM »
Tim

Neat!!! Are there any more pictures of the Griffin? Any measurements?

Michael

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 03:17:02 PM »
Tim

Neat!!! Are there any more pictures of the Griffin? Any measurements?

Michael

Its from a book on English guns. I will get the reference for you.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 03:35:09 PM »
It's a picture from an antique arms auction catalog.

A 15 BORE FLINTLOCK COACHING CARBINE BY BENJAMIN GRIFFIN, BOND STREET, LONDON, CIRCA 1765 with lightly swamped barrel fitted with silver barleycorn fore-sight, signed within a linear frame drawn-out to a loop over the breech, fitted with a moulded cup beneath the muzzle and a moulded ramrod-pipe behind, engraved grooved tang, signed border-engraved rounded lock fitted with moulded sliding safety-catch and later cock, figured walnut half-stock, skeleton butt, engraved brass mounts comprising fore-end cap, trigger-guard with a rose on the bow and early acorn finial, solid side-plate, and later horn-tipped wooden ramrod 62cm; 24 3/8in barrel Provenance William Keith Neil, sold Christie's 8th November 1995, lot 123 William Wrightson, Cusworth Hall, Doncaster Literature W. Keith Neal & D. H. L. Back, Griffin & Tow and W. Bailles, 1989, p.70, plates 20a, b.

jwh1947

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »
Hey, definitely guided by the golden mean, and a prime candidate for the first muzzleloader to be fitted with a Crimson Trace sight system.  I have figured out a way to inlet this component unobtrusively. Go all the way.  Then enter at Dixon's as "contemporary."  The critique should be hilarious.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »
Thanks James!!

http://www.thomasdelmar.com/catalogues/as250608/page13.htm

Another good resorce:  Wish I had seen it sooner!!!  BRITISH GUNMAKERS 1740 - 1790 - MESSRS GRIFFIN TOW & BAILES W. Keith Neal & D.H.L. Back, Historical Firearms 1st edition 1989, folio, 1 pages, many photo ills

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »
That's the website! Could not think of it.
I have it in a 1995 Christie's catalog when it was originally sold out of Neal's collection.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:23:25 PM by James Rogers »

Offline RobertS

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 06:49:48 AM »
I am pretty sure that somewhere I've seen a picture of a Davy Crockett rifle that was a presentation gun while he was a congressman that had a very similar appearance to the pistol grip stock shown in the photo.