Author Topic: Lesson(s) Learned  (Read 2319 times)

William Worth

Lesson(s) Learned
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
I botched installation of a "White Lightnin" vent liner in my .50 cal. T/C barrel.  I must not have cut the threads deep enough and in seating the liner "manned" it in and must have just about wrung it off.  I could see a surface failure in an arc about 1/3 of the way around the opening of the vent indicating separation within the vent liner. 

I figured if it blew out it was just going to hit the side of the smokehouse, but after several shooting sessions, it was apparent that I had sacrificed both ignition reliability and accuracy from it's previous self...and I just didn't trust it.  It's not a great barrel but it has been a decent barrel.  I just can't leave well enough alone and have been installing "White Lightnin" vent liners and peep sights on about all of my rifles.  I was now shooting 12" shotgun patterns all over the target at 50 yds.

Back to the gun room, I removed the liner, cut the threads a little deeper and installed a second "White Lightnin" liner, being a little more careful this time.

Back to the range,  accuracy has returned.  In fact, of ten shots fired at 50 yds into a 2" orange bull, all have been contained within the 2" bull.   :)

Everything else had remained constant as far as variables go.  Same lube, same ticking, same balls, etc.  It was the poorly installed vent liner.