Author Topic: .50 Cal E. Wesson Style Boxlock  (Read 8750 times)

CowboyCS

.50 Cal E. Wesson Style Boxlock
« on: May 24, 2010, 05:54:55 PM »
Something smaller and simpler that the last couple of builds I've done. Just thought you all might like to see it.

Specifications:

* Action - Pete Allen Casting, E. Wesson Style Boxlock (1860-1870's caplock)
    * Barrel - .50 Caliber, 1:48 Twist, Octagon to wedding band transition to tapered round, 28-3/4" long
    * Stock - Red Maple w/ ebony forearm tip, stained with LMF Walnut and oil finished.
    * Furniture - All Iron.
    * Metal is Rust Blued.
    * Weight - 7 pounds 5 ounces.
    * Length of Pull - 13-3/4"
    * Drop at Comb - 1-3/4"
    * Drop at heel - 2-3/4"
    * Overall Length - 45-1/4"
    * Sights - Front fixed blade, Rear is a single notched "v".
    * Brass tipped Ramrod.
    * 1/4 - 28 nipple thread - uses #11 caps

Colin

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: .50 Cal E. Wesson Style Boxlock
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:09 PM »
Another nice looking rifle, Cowboy!  Should be a sweet shooter.  What type of stain and finish did you use on the stock?  I like the warm colors.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

CowboyCS

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:08:33 PM »
Thank You.
The stain is LMF American Walnut. The oil finish is a homebrew version of Tru-oil(sort of). You mix Turpentine and Boiled linseed oil 50/50, then you mix the Turp/BLO, 50/50 with high gloss Tung oil, add some Japanese drying agent(optional, it just helps in the high humidity I live in). The first couple coats go on heavy and get sanded back, then 6-12(depends on the finish I am looking for) hand rubbed coats. Just a little finger tip drop and rub it as far as it will stretch with the palm of my hand. The final coat(optional) after everything is dry is Johnsons Paste wax(carnuba wax), I like to use Carnuba wax because of it's water resistance and because my customers can touch up the surface coat really easy just by buffing a little in once or twice a year, and Johnson's Paste wax can be found at just about any home improvement center, so it's easy for them to get.

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »
Great work Cowboy! Always wondered what a box lock look like ... nice! Take care .. Bill

Offline sydney

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:05:21 PM »
Hi--Very nice --thanks for posting the pictures
        How does it shoot??
         Sydney

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 03:55:04 AM »
How does the trigger work on that type of lock?  Simple engagement or set in some manner?  Of course, the proof is in the pudding.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

CowboyCS

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 04:00:41 AM »
Simple engagement, the tumbler sits inline and above the trigger, the end of the trigger is the "sear" and directly engages the tumbler. It has a pusher spring that acts on the trigger from behind and the set screw that holds the spring in can be tightened or loosened to change the trigger pull. I'm on my house computer right now, but tomorrow, I will try to remember to post some pictures of the internals.

Colin

CowboyCS

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »
Here's an exploded view of the parts.

I think it's pretty self explanatory once you see it. I like this style of late period action, they are very robust and simple with little that can fail on them and although they aren't an exact copy of the Wesson actions I've seen, Pete definitely makes these with very nice graceful lines.

Colin

Ole Doc

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:02:41 AM »
... very nice indeed , well done.