Author Topic: Full Stock Hawken Kit  (Read 24467 times)

flintman-tx

Re: Full Stock Hawken Kit
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 03:42:24 AM »
Be CIVIL, guys. You can express your opinions but  none of us have the right to be mean spirited. Period.

digger

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 04:21:14 AM »
I didn't mean to open such a can of worms. Maybe I should just build a late Lancaster style, so as not to risk persecution by an unabashed Hawken- ologist at my local rendezvous for misrepresenting what allegedly may or may not have been built with a flintlock, or, God forbid a 4 57/64ths inch tall buttplate by someone resembling a Hawken brother, or pair of brothers, or shirtail relative of a Hawken brother twice removed on their mother's side.  ;D ;D Thanks for all the great insight fellas. I really enjoy all the knowledge brought to bear on this forum.

BTW, just joshing above, I really enjoy the posts by those with much more time invested in their research than me, even if they don't all agree.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:52:40 PM by digger »

Sean

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 05:39:25 AM »
Digger,

Dan gets his shorts in a bunch occasionally.  Don't sweat it and don't worry about persecution.  Just be aware that when you get into the realm of early Hawkens of the period you are discussing, you are entering a land of wild speculation based on about as many documented, dated specimens as an alligator dentist has fingers.  Check out some of those guns I mentioned and feel free to speculate all you like.  Its part of the fun of it.  I would be happy to help you with citations.  And by the way, I really like those Lancaster and Philly trade rifles. 

Dan,

I was tossing that out there to start polite conversation.  However, you are not-so-politely asking me to disprove a negative.  That is not possible.  So, while I don't really feel silly, I would much rather put the alligator in the dentist chair and go to work on him than attempt to change your views on anything.

Sean