Author Topic: Original 1700's Strike a light pouch with steel incorperated  (Read 4331 times)

Online Dave B

Original 1700's Strike a light pouch with steel incorperated
« on: September 07, 2008, 04:24:18 AM »
This is really cool. A friend of mines wife found this in an antique shope a while back. The pics are not the best but you get the Idea. It was in a sealed case.
It consists of a leather section, two pieces one is long enough to wrap around to make the flap. The top bail is attached via two loops which pierce the leather and are bradded back on them selfs after passing through a Iron spine that is on the other side(in side) of the leather. You can see the long spine of Iron sticking out laterally where the leather has gone away. The button is  purely for decoration and the iron corner pieces are riveted to the leather with Iron pins they do not wrap around the leather but sit on top of the flap as a weight to keep the pouch closed. The two sides of leather are bound to the steel by an iron sheet frame that is again rivited with iron pins. The pouch carried the flint and tinder. I thought you guys would like seeing it. I know I want to make one for my self.
Regards
Dave B

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 02:19:29 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Original 1700's Strike a light pouch with steel incorperated
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:29:25 AM »
Dave,

What you have shown is typically called a Tibetan Flint striker or Flint Pouch. Tibetans carried them on their belts, but I don't believe you would have seen anything like this in the 18th century U.S. They were pretty popular on Ebay several years ago.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Online Dave B

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 08:12:42 AM »
Randy,
I had never seen one before it looks old enough to be from the 1700's but from Tibet. ;D. The top handle for it reminds me of a tea pot handle.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 06:33:25 PM »
Dave,

If you really like the idea of a pouch with an integral flint striker, I have seen where a couple of guys are making and selling A smaller and less decorative version. Wick Ellerbe makes some of these in a 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" size. Wick's web site is http://wickellerbe.com/

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:51:23 PM by Randy Hedden »
American Mountain Men #1393