Author Topic: Beals, William N. 100505-1  (Read 14066 times)

Offline nord

Beals, William N. 100505-1
« on: May 23, 2010, 03:48:54 PM »
William N. Beals.  Born 1822 in Tn. In Unicoi County 1850-1870. Marked "W.N.B."
Overall length: 62"
Barrel length: 46"
.40 Cal
Long tang!
Page 45 in Jerry Nobles' "Notes on Southern Long Rifles Vol 4".

Comments:

This is an out standing TN rifle stocked in premium maple. Just as good as it gets! Nice to see maple used since many of us are conditioned to seeing walnut used much of the time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the things I appreciate about Beals is that he seems to have signed much of his work, usually 'WNB."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   
A nice example of Beals' work with the banana patchbox, long tang, TN style guard and butt plate with extended top extension.
Original flintlock deep South rifles sometime had just one lock bolt.  I have seen a single lock bolt on early, as well as late, flint-period Southern rifles.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   
This is an out standing TN rifle stocked in premium maple. Just as good as it gets! Nice to see maple used since many of us are conditioned to seeing walnut used much of the time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the things I appreciate about Beals is that he seems to have signed much of his work, usually 'WNB."   

« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 09:39:48 PM by Sequatchie Rifle »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.