Author Topic: jaeger help  (Read 8699 times)

omark

jaeger help
« on: May 25, 2010, 03:44:09 AM »
well guys, here i am, hat in hand again. got some questions on jaeger stocks. i got a jaeger kit, its a totw kit.
#1  the toe of the buttplate is rounded but there is a toe plate included, which would take a flat surface.

#2what shape were the fore ends? im thinking rounded, but not sure.

#3what do they use for a muzzle cap, if any?

thanks in advance, mark

Offline Dave B

Re: jaeger help
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 04:03:02 AM »
Jaegers come in a varity of styles and you can find both rounded as well as squared off toe areas. The plate may have been an error on their part. I have only seen one or two Jaegers with rounded toe sections with a matching rounded toe plate. All of the other rouned toe Jaegers had no toe plate at all. The  majority of jaegers I have seen have flat toe sections with half of those not having a toe plate.

The fore stock is rounded in crossection for the most part but its elongated like a stetched heart shape that is cut off at the bottom section. It is not as flat sided as the bucks county fore ends "V" shape so its taller than it is wide it would seem to me.

The Muzzle end of the stock could be treated several differenet ways. A horn end cap made by forming a section of horn around the wood that has been shaved down like it would be for a brass muzzle cap and glued in place with the wood showing out the end of the muzzle side. I have seen later period Jaegers with the standard Schnable  shape to the horn. Early styles have the chased brass muzzle caps held on by a screw in to a stud in the end of the barrles bottom flat. Hope this helps
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:54:04 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:39:49 AM »
You really should get Shumway's book on Jaegers.  It will answer many of your questions, and you can pick a particular style of Jaeger to reproduce....Yes, they come in many and varied styles.   It will also give you a nice look at the various carving styles used along with other decorative details.  You can never have too much information.   There are other and much more expensive books than the Shumway book, but it is a good starter book.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

SuperCracker

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 06:16:03 PM »
A horn end cap made by forming a section of horn around the wood that has been shaved down like it would be for a brass muzzle cap and glued in place with the wood showing out the end of the muzzle side.

I think I had seen these but thought they were bone.

Was I mistaken and actually looking at horn, or were bone end caps also used?

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:23:39 PM »
Generally horn.  Light or dark.

Sometimes just sheet brass.

A quick look at some nose caps (and some unusual bores!).

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 04:08:50 AM »
Jaegers require a totally different mind set. If you are not prepared to do the research before the build, stay with the American builds! IMHO. Otherwise a "Bas*&rd will be created
 European Guns require a totally different way of looking at things
JWF
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

dan parrett

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 10:06:04 AM »
Hey JWF,
Shouldn't you be carving on a Jaeger instead of tapping on your keyboard?

Dan

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 06:47:11 PM »
Jaegers require a totally different mind set. If you are not prepared to do the research before the build, stay with the American builds! IMHO. Otherwise a "Bas*&rd will be created
JWF

Couldn't have said it better, myself.

Not to discourage one from building, but to encourage one to study.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:20:52 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

SuperCracker

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 10:31:02 PM »
JWF

So........I guess.......it would be in poor taste to carve the JaegerMeister logo into the stock then?????

???

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 11:45:57 PM »
If you were Catholic (Bavarian/Austrian) you could engrave it on the hardware.  It is "Sankt Hubertus", the patron saint of hunters.  I've never seen it carved, but MAY have seen him engraved.

Of course, there's those of us who don't go in for such Popery.   ;)

SuperCracker

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 01:54:04 AM »
It is "Sankt Hubertus", the patron saint of hunters.  I

I did not know that.

dannybb55

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 02:13:54 AM »
Does the Valentine bore Jaeger in the picture have a sub caliber rifled barrel with the Valentine twist built into the outside of the barrel? It seems that I saw that rifle in 100 Great Guns a few decades back.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 03:52:35 AM »
John Getz, will you rifle me a heart shaped bore?  Maybe it's a clove of garlic instead, for shooting vampires?

I don't know how they would have produced that bore. A twisted mandrel would surely get stuck. I'm thinking it was a round bore that they made a special cutter head(s) for.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 04:29:40 AM »
Tom, could be wrong but doesn't it hypothesize that (the specialty cutters) in the jeager book that Chambers sells? im sure i saw such a thought in print before and that is pretty much my only book on jeagers, although i have a bunch of different gunsmithing books
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 06:45:01 PM »

Hey, Acer, I have photos of a "rifle" with a heart shaped bore...and barrel.  The rifling is twisted by twisting the barrel!!!!

SuperCracker

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 11:48:33 PM »
Wait a minute. What Jaeger are you drinking? I've only ever noticed the big awesome (Red??) deer.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 12:09:51 AM »
Google "St. Hubertus", and you will find all kinds of images of him, from the middle ages on.   ;)

SuperCracker

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 12:27:44 AM »
or I could drink less!   ::)