Author Topic: Western Conversion of the Mod 1841 Mississippi Rifle  (Read 7170 times)

hawknknife

Western Conversion of the Mod 1841 Mississippi Rifle
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:31:31 PM »
This is an interesting Western buffalo rifle.  It is an E. Whitney contract dated 1850 that an accomplished gunsmith sporterized by cutting the stock, pouring a pewter nosecap, installing an underrib, and classic full buckhorn sights.

It is still in original 54 cal rifled with the 33 inch barrel. All work completely of the period. It is known that Whitney sold gov't rejected rifles and parts to dealers in the 1850's and many were carried westward.   You can see in one of the pics where the original military rear sight base was plugged.

I find these Western used guns of as much interest as the early flint rifles made before 1800.

Carl

www.hawknknife.com

GrampaJack

Re: Western Conversion of the Mod 1841 Mississippi Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:59:12 PM »
You know, in the better part of 40 years of collecting and observing antique military guns I have never met a "sporterized" musket that I liked - till now. I like it very much, would own one, and shoot it. I can picture it slung over a saddle. Best Regards, Jack

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:42:12 AM »
That is really neat. Much better sporter than most. Same could be made with a Zouave.

dannybb55

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:48:03 AM »
Many 1841 Rifles were surplussed when the US switched to the 1855 rifle musket in .58. Some went west and some went to state governments. A Halls conversion would be an interesting build also.
                                   Danny

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »
Nifty gun. As others have pointed out, not many were sportered that well.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

chuckpa

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:33:32 PM »
That is a wonderful rifle, congratulations on finding it. Let us know how it shoots.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 03:17:35 AM »
This is as slick a job of sporterization of a military gun, as I have ever seen. You find Spencers, Sharps and such, that have been refined for civilian use and some are very nice. Many have Gove, Freund, or even Hawken barrels. while this one has only simple, even understated changes, it is in a class by itself and is a real dandy. Thank you for showing it around. It is a pleasure to look at it.
Dick

hawknknife

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 08:40:34 PM »
Thanks for the nice remarks.  One thing I didn't mention, it has what I have been told is a Western set trigger.  This is a small hole drilled in the underside of the stock by the trigger.  A small screw, about 1/2 inch long is threaded in the hole, the tip to apply pressure on the sear bar.  The more it is screwed in, the harder it presses on the sear bar to lessen the hold in the tumbler notch.
    I have another western sporter of the buffalo hunting era with this same feature and it works well.....Carl

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:56:36 PM »
Thanks for posting that. Neat gun.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

bcowern

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 10:09:45 PM »
What a wonderful old rifle you have and in very nice condition to boot! Thank you for sharing.
Regards,
Powderman

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 12:21:48 AM »
  That is one percussion gun that speaks to you. The brass patch box really compliments the barrel band and vice versa. Other nice features would include the front/rear sight set up along with the nose cap.  Really nice photos; thanks for posting.
SC

Offline RobertS

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 06:31:19 AM »
I agree with all the other comments; if only it could talk!