Author Topic: Homer Dangler's new web site  (Read 8504 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Homer Dangler's new web site
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:56:41 AM »
I just received an email from Homer Dangler.  He now has a web site:

www.homerdangler.com

He is still an active pilot at 82 or 83 I believe.  Besides gun building he is working on a home-built airplane.  He is amazingly active at his age.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Homer Dangler's new web site
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 07:57:19 AM »
Larry,
Thanks for the heads up.  Homer builds a real nice rifle.  I had lunch with him at last year's CLA show.  My head was spinning as he told me all the stuff he was doing, especially building his own airplane.  Amazing. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 07:19:52 PM »
Wow, I used to buy wood from Homer in the early 70s and he did a great job of building then and is still goingstrong, Insperational for shure.    Gary

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:20:58 PM »
I hope to still be looking at Homer's latest work twenty years hence!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:38:47 PM »
Two years ago at CLA he spent half an hour giving me a lecture about two of his guns and showing me fine points of design and wondering about the original builder's creative process. He is quite a person and a joy to talk with. Builds beautifill guns too!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline b bogart

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 12:52:46 AM »
Not only is Homer good to talk to his lovely wife is a joy to converse with also! I usually stop at his booth at Friendship even just to say hello. Neither know me by face nor name, but are always very friendly and gracious!

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 11:47:32 AM »
Two years ago at CLA he spent half an hour giving me a lecture about two of his guns and showing me fine points of design and wondering about the original builder's creative process. He is quite a person and a joy to talk with. Builds beautifill guns too!!

Tim,
I believe that was the year I taped an interview with Homer  for my web site.  I had just had trouble with one from David Price and took a backup recorder to CLA to be sure.   To hear the interview go to:

www.blackpowdermag.com

Click on "Interviews" at the top.  Homer's in the fourth one down.  Included are photos of Homer and a few guns.  Click on "Download MP3"  It will play without any downloading on a fast connection. 
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 08:17:20 AM »
Homer is basically a national treasure.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 05:39:24 AM »
Thanks for posting the link, Larry.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 05:16:06 PM »
You guys who like originals - even southern rifles - will like the website.  If you go to the "Photo Gallery" section, you will note that Homer has been kind enough to share some photos of originals, including nice detail shots of an iron mounted, carved rifle that is believed to be of North Carolina origin.  To my knowledge this is the first time that clear photos of it have been available for the general public to study. Also a great original Beyer and other pieces as well.

Thanks for the heads up Larry, and thank you Mr. Dangler.

Guy

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 01:57:36 AM »
wow, that is a great site, thanks for posting the link.

The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of identification and lack of separation of the photos. IMHO, makes it confusing for those of us who have little knowledge about the pieces that are illustrated.

That said, I would rather be confused than not have the the photos.  ;)

God bless