Author Topic: anybody got pics of different shooting styles?  (Read 7147 times)

exTNer

anybody got pics of different shooting styles?
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:17:31 PM »
Roundballs thread with that beautiful TN rifle got me thinking.  Yes, someday I want a TN style rifle too, and I 'think' I get the different shooting styles that are referred to in that thread.  But does anybody know of any pics on this board that show the two different styles clearly?  I'm already looking back through some recent pics of woods walk shoots, but not sure who's rifle is what.   

Thanks

exTNer

Re: anybody got pics of different shooting styles?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:32:59 PM »
Well, I ain't gonna find nuttin.  I can't even post a question in the right place!

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:06:54 AM »
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:34:02 AM »
I'm not sure what you are looking for, but here's some similar, but slightly different. Notice the left hand postion on the forestock.  LB's is close to the lock panel, however hatchet Jack's is further out and Neil's is further out yet.  My own left hand grip is at the entry-pipe, with my forefinger running down the pipe, straight toward the muzzle.  I find this reduces left and right movement so concentration is mainly vertical.  I've been shooting this way since the 70's.  Too, I don't hold me elbow as high, due to a shoulder injury from some large centrefires, so my elbow is dropped. I got used to shooting that way over the last year and a bit, so still shoot that way - sort-of- it's about 1/2 way to what is deamed to be the proper postion.

Here's Jody - feet slightly addressed to the right, body swung to the left slightly, sort-of Swiss Style, elbow about level with shoulder, slight drop, shooting a 10 1/2 pound .58 full stocked Hawken, her mothers.

Here's LeatherBelly, feet addressed to the target, elbow  level, in recoil form his Frenchy 20 bore.

Here's Neil H. with elbow just slightly low - happens with age - HA! Neil is tough to beat, shooting his wife's .40 flinter.

Hachet Jack - wide foot stance, slightly left of taget - looks uncomfortable, but steady.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:36:23 AM by Daryl »

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
If this is what you're looking for, here are a few more pictures.

exTNer

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 03:43:02 PM »
HA!  Had to laugh at that 'lay-down' style.  I've heard of it, but wondered about the details.  Think I'm too stiff in the back and neck to do that anymore.  Looks like a great way to shoot off part of your own foot too.  I already have a hard time getting up off the ground, and with half a foot gone I'd never get up!!!!

What I'm looking for are pics that would show the hold required for a Tennessee style rifle with it's deep crescent buttplate and pronounced drop.  Many have indicated that they were made to be held with the buttplate at the top of the arm or bicep, instead of on the ball, or inside the ball of the shoulder.  I want to see specifically how this TN style hold differs from the hold that I currently use (standard shotgunning style?).

Most pics I've seen show the shooter and the target, taken from the behind the shooter.  Unfortunately, this doesn't show the specifics of buttplate location very well.  Winter clothing also obscures that detail as well.  Dunno if anybody would want to take and post pics specifically for this? 

The main reason I'm asking is that, someday, I want a Tennessee style rifle.  The pronounced drop makes me wonder about how to hold one to make it comfortable and natural for me to hold and shoot.  Of course, I don't have one yet, and haven't run into anyone close by or made it to one of the suppliers or builders to try one out.  Need to change that. 

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 04:02:56 PM »
IMHO every person holds their rifle the way it works best for them.  Trying to copy someone elses hold does not always work for yourself.  You are better off to get the rifle and find the hold that fits you best.  Good luck, and that ought to be a great rifle! :)

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »
My little .32 Tenn. rifle's butt fits just inboard of curve of my shoulder joint, the toe running into the gap of the arm pit, heel over the top, or on the top. Most hooked butts do not fit the shoudler's 'pocket' due to the tines digging in.  That postition is for shotgun or wider, early rifle butts, including the early and late English patterns.  Most Penn. styles have little hook and nice wide butts. to have to run those out on the arm shows a stock too long for the shooter. Straight, wide butts fit more on the pectoral muscle. 
I agree with Snuffer - where ever the gun feels right to you, is how any particular stock design fits you best.

exTNer

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »
Bye!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 05:55:42 PM »
I have an offhand scheutzen, with the prongs on the butt, and a palm rest on the forestock. Definitely has to be hooked under the upper arm. Arms held close as possible to the body, left elbow resting on my hip bone. It's very uncomfortable at first, so one really needs to train the body to do this kind of hold.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:55:55 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 06:22:10 PM »
   oops, did we scare him off?

bob243

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 07:31:20 PM »

Interesting.  I used to shoot modern handgun silhouette in a similar position  ;D

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 05:20:24 AM »
   oops, did we scare him off?

Not sure?  I can't imagine why anyone would take offense to what has been posted here.  His "Bye!" is pretty abrupt, but maybe he got the information he was seeking?

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »
Tom- I shot some of that sort of swiss style with my Rolling Bock- 16 pounds, Harry Pope's recommended weight for a man's offhand rifle.  The butt plate alone weighed 6 pounds and with the heavy Hoch barrel, 1 1/4" across the flats, it was heavy indeed.  the hook was necessary for that weight, but good shooting could be done.

Body shape for that style needs be a 50/50 body, or one that's short in the torso, long in the legs.  that allows a firm hold on the hip bone with the left elbow. Long in the body as I am, I have to hold that elbow into my ribs - stead - but not as good as a solid hold on bone.

doug

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 06:32:45 AM »
What I'm looking for are pics that would show the hold required for a Tennessee style rifle with it's deep crescent buttplate and pronounced drop.  ld want to take and post pics specifically for this? 

I shoot a deep hooked buttplate with the plate hooked into the notch between my biceps and my shoulder joint.  Most hooks fit there comfortably and lock the butt into place.  I also shoot with my hand close to the lock similar to the last photo of the bunch above.  I find with my elbow dug into my side, I can hold a heavy barrel steadier longer without getting tired than with my left hand farther out on the forestock.   Or looking at it another way, I can hold a light barrel out steadier when I am tired at the end of a trail

cheers Doug