Author Topic: Michigan Gun  (Read 5200 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

Michigan Gun
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:13:01 AM »
 I have a G.W. Bowley or G.W. Rowley Pontiac Mi. half stock .30 cal. barrel is 29 1/2 long 7 3/8 being octagon the rest round one inch O.D. single trigger 13 1/2 pull cresent BP. all brass mounts walnut perch belly stock single key to hold barrel to stock. Can anyone give me some info on the maker and possible value without any pictures to go by. Thanks for any imput.  Eric D. Lau  Riverdale Mi.

Offline b bogart

Re: Michigan Gun
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:41:42 AM »
Is there an echo in here.. here ....here?? ;D

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:48:11 AM »
Frank Seller's "American Gunsmiths" lists a George W. Bowlby (sic) as working in Pontiac, MI in the 1860s. He is listed as a gunsmith in city directories in 1863 and 1867. He was granted patent #64941 on May 21, 1867 for a new design of an ejector. A breech loading rifle by him is known. Seller's source is "GR 5-80" which I presume is The Gun Report (magazine) issue for May of 1980.

It is impossible to give you a value without seeing your rifle. We do not know the extent of original condition, or original finish, if any damage has occured, or if any alterations have been made to the gun, etc.  With Bowlby working late in the percussion era, it is probably a "generic" half-stocked gun with minimal ornamentation, and therefore not a high dollar gun. However, if there are any interesting details on the gun, its value can increase. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:50:06 AM by Tanselman »

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 01:55:13 AM »
Ran across this while digging for Southgate info. tanzleman, of course, is correct, no one can discuss the rifle's value without seeing it. Anyway, here is some misc info from a recent book on Michigan gunmakers:
Bowlby, G. W.,  Village of Pontiac                               1853 - 186752
Oakland County. Prop'r Kentucky rifle shop, Saginaw. Granted patent on combined rear sight and cartridge ejector for firearms, May 21, 1867 No. 64,94112. In the 1860 census he is a Gun Smith, born in New Jersey about 1824, wife Catherine born ~1826 in Massachusetts. In 1860 his household consisted of George, age 8 and Chauncey Clark, age 22, a grocer, both born in Michigan. Rather successful, the value of his real estate in 1860 was $3000, personal estate $2000.   
Brian Russell, of 4th Street Books, Royal Oak, has provided the following information: The Pontiac city directory of 1860—61 lists: Bowlby, G.W., proprietor Kentucky rifle shop, between Pike and Andrew, residence Garland. The county directory of 1886 indicates Catherine Bowlby, widow of George W., lived in her own house at the corner of Park and Cottage, Pontiac.
The Pontiac Weekly Gazette, for February 8, 1878 includes: Death of George W. Bowlby: The city was startled on Wednesday afternoon, by the report of the sudden death of George W. Bowlby, at his home on Park street. He has been ailing and looking badly for some months, but there were no indications of near or sudden dissolution. On Wednesday forenoon he was about the city as usual, and rode out with his wife, but returned between one and two o’clock feeling very sick, and immediately lay down and summoned a physician. He rapidly became worse, expiring in a few hours. The disease was determined to be abscess of the liver. Mr. Bowlby was born in Warren County, New Jersey, February 19. 1823, came in to Pontiac, 1853, and engaged in the gunsmith business for fifteen years. He was a quiet estimable man and a good citizen. His funeral will take place from his residence on Park St. this Friday afternoon at one o’clock. 
The Pontiac Weekly Bill Poster for February 13, 1878 reported: The funeral services of the late Geo. W.  Bowlby were held at his residence on Parke Street last Friday afternoon, sermon by Rev. J.M. Gelston, and  the  remains  interred at Oak Hill. The cause of his sudden death was determined to be abscess of the liver, instead of heart disease. Mr. Bowlby came to Pontiac in 1853, and soon opened a gun shop, in which business he remained some fifteen years. He was nearly fifty-five years old, and a good citizen.  Sermon by Rev. J.M. Gelston       
One of his breech-loading rifles is shown in The GunReport      May     1980 page 4.                                                                                                 

mbuchan1

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 12:11:42 AM »
I am looking to purchase a Bowlby rifle if anyone has one! I purchased the Bowlby house and would like to have it above the fireplace haha

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:57:35 PM »
I am looking to purchase a Bowlby rifle if anyone has one! I purchased the Bowlby house and would like to have it above the fireplace haha

That would be a great thing to do.  Good luck.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

mbuchan1

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 01:12:25 AM »
Are there any pictures of this firearms?