Author Topic: A cherry southern Mt. rifle  (Read 10561 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
A cherry southern Mt. rifle
« on: June 05, 2010, 07:51:49 PM »
      Since there have been a number of Southern Mt. style rifles posted lately,  I thought you might like to see a slim little rifle done in cherry.   The cherry stock is stained with sodium hydroxide.  The 38" 36 cal. A weight swamped barrel is rust blued as is the rest of the steel furniture.   The nose cap is poured pewter. 
     The silver squirrel inlay carries with it a story.   A pastor friend and bird carver used to stop by the shop to talk carving, etc.  One day Brent stopped in and handed me a photo of a squirrel pin.  He said that he thought that it might make a nice inlay for a squirrel rifle.  Three weeks later just before his retirement Brent was tragically killed in an auto accident.  When the client ordered this gun, I mentioned the story and showed him the photo.  He immediately said that he would like the inlay on his rifle.  So, Brent, this one is for you; your inlay and the rifle will stalk the squirrels around Lake Erie.

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
Re: A cherry southern Mt. rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »
Ron--
I like the looks of the cherry. I think I may have to use the piece that I have on my next So rifle.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:25:14 PM by cwallingford »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 08:38:44 PM »
Lucky,
Nice looking rifle, well done.

I am interested in the use of sodium hydroxide. Is there an advantage to using it in lieu of say plain old Red Devil lye? I built a cherry mountain rifle several years ago and tried to use lye water made from hickory ashes. Evidently it was not strong enough so I added a teaspoon (or two) of Red Devil lye to the mix. End result was pretty dark. I ended up rubbing it back to keep it from being so dark. I have a little A weight 36 caliber in one of my cherry Gillespie patterns. I was going to use the lye water left over from the last cherry stock but wondered if it would be better to use the sodium hydroxide?

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 08:44:27 PM »
Dennis...Sodium hydroxide is lye...nothing more, nothing less.

Best,
John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline b bogart

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 09:50:13 PM »
Ron I am sorry to hear of the passing of your friend! What a great commemeration with that squirrel pin  inlay!!! Oh and the rifle is very nice too!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 10:01:13 PM »
 I'll bet that is a well balanced, quick pointer. The nose cap is a great design. Nice work.

Tim C.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »
Dennis...Sodium hydroxide is lye...nothing more, nothing less.

Best,
John.
I assumed it was but wasn't sure if it was maybe purer or a little different from normal on Red Devil or not.
Thanks
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

roundball

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 11:06:03 PM »
Beautiful little rifle !

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 11:52:31 PM »
Ron, that is beautiful. I love the roundness!! You have a lucky customer for all that is in that gun.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

msw

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 12:51:58 AM »
great looking rifle.  i like the squirrel inlay, too- a very nice touch.

by way of a side note; i was building a Southern Mountain pattern (style?) rifle with a well figured piece of maple, and i took it into my head to put some bloodwood inlays in it (around the trigger guard, and in lieu of a metal toeplate)  then i wanted the figure to really pop, so i tried a bit of lye solution on a scrap. --- good thing i checked it out, because the lye caused the color of the bloodwood to bleed all over the place... i threw away the scrap, light a candle to St Sebastian (the patron saint of armorers) and finished the rifle with a non- lye stain.

so, don't mess up as i did!  instead, go forth and make good smoke!

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 02:33:52 AM »
Beautiful work, Lucky. I'm gather "fixin's" for a TN and I have been focused on curly maple ... BUT ... cherry might be the way I go after seeing your work. If you don't mind me asking ... Did the cherry work (shaping/etc) in a manner similar to curly maple? Thanks .. Bill Hey

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 02:49:56 AM »
Yes Sir  that inlay will bring good medicine to that little rifle.  nicely done.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 04:27:27 AM »
Dennis, as John said Sodium Hydroxide is lye.  I get mine in a powdered form.  I then mix a couple of tablespoons with with about a quart of water.  I use it to neutralize browning solutions to prevent after rust.  I have found that the stronger you make the mixture the redder the color.  I guess this would be the advantage of using the powdered form over using drain cleaner etc.   Bill, cherry generally is softer than god maple.  Unless you are working with a piece with crotch figure etc. it works pretty easily.  I think it lends itself to guns w/o carving.  It finishes nicely and has sufficient strength for gunstocks, if as Mike says "you don't use them for a club."   Charlie, I will expect to see your cherry southern rifle on your table when we get to Lewisburg. 
Thanks all,    Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 02:19:22 PM »
Ron, now don't rush me. I am getting old you know.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »
Nice looking gun. You gotta love that cherry wood. Cherry wood always reminds me of my grandmother's bed.

Birddog6

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 03:17:58 PM »
Very nice clean looking rifle.  Great job.   ;)

Keith

Offline alex e.

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 03:28:26 PM »
Ron, as usual, very nice work. I like the nose cap especially,plus i am fond of cherry wood also.

Alex.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Herb

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 04:07:32 PM »
Very nice clean lines.
Herb

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »
What a beaut!!  Nice job on the tang.  I'd never had much interest in the later guns till you guys all started posting here and know I want one!!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 04:48:15 PM »
Lucky,
She's a beauty!  You have a real graceful and sleek squirrel rifle there.   Great job.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.