Author Topic: New Book out this summer--Christians' Spring  (Read 12814 times)

jwh1947

New Book out this summer--Christians' Spring
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
Someone just asked about this subject and recent threads have revealed interest in the subject.  The KRA/KRF will be presenting a new book this month entitled Moravian Gunsmiths of the American Revolution.  My confidential informants tell me it covers Christians' Spring in detail;  about 144 pages, hardbound.  I think the regular price of the book is going to be $80.00.  Anyone in KRA should be able to get one for you.  They are supposed  to be available to members at the annual meeting this month, with the remainder going to the general public after the show.   

Michael

Re: New Book out this summer--Christians' Spring
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:15:15 PM »
I'll take one!!!  Will there be copies at the show in Lexinton,Ky this August?

Michael

Online Telgan

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »
Yep, There goes another $80.

jwh1947

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »
Mike, I'd certainly bet they will be available at Lexington.

Offline HIB

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »
Gentlemen,    The Grand Cardinal of generous words has fortold the truth.

'MORAVIAN GUN MAKING of the American Revolution'

Will be available to the collecting and contemporary fraternity in July. The book is the first comprehensive study of Moravian Gunsmiths working during the Rev. War period.
Twelve of the finest Moravian guns known are featured in 160 full color high resolution
photos. Over 35 B&W archival photos and 33 pages of text outline the history of the Moravian communities of Bethlehem, Nazareth and Christian's Spring, Pa. and Bethabra, N.C.

'MORAVIAN GUN MAKING of the American Revolution' is the second in a series of books published by the Kentucky Rifle Foundation.   Regards,  HIB

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 10:23:47 PM »
How would one go about ordering one of these books?

Offline HIB

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 12:18:39 AM »
Mike,   The marketing plan as it stands now is to advertise the book on the KRA web page and several of the popular trade magizines. We intend to make it easy to purchase via mail and at a number of CLA and KRA mini shows.  Give us a few weeks to get set up with the web page and the mags.  The book is currently at the bindery.  Thanks for the inquiry.   HIB

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 12:24:45 AM »
Henry,
Is this book going to be sent to the KRA members that can't attend the meeting?
John
John Robbins

jwh1947

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 04:08:54 PM »
After many days, no answer from club authorities to this poignant question.  As a past president, my response is, "It certainly should be!"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 04:11:32 PM by jwh1947 »

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 03:43:04 AM »
 Wayne H,
The Christians Springs book will be available for purchase by KRA members at the annual meeting as well as following the meeting.  Books will, of course, be sent by mail to any KRA member who does not attend the meeting but who wishes to purchase a copy.  And, as Henry has stated, they will be subsequently advertised and sold to non-KRA members.
Wayne Elliott

Offline HIB

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 04:44:45 AM »
jwh1947,  Wayne Elliott has answered your critical post.  Quite frankly, in all your infinite wisdom you have fallen into the basic Marketing 101 information challenge. I am surprised you took so long as I expected to hear from you several days ago. FYI  I answered J.R. directly as the Kentucky Rifle Foundation reserves the right to release the book and relative information on their own schedule. The formal release date will be after the annual KRA meeting in Pittsburgh next week.

There are now 6 people who know what the Kentucky Rifle Foundation is going to do. You are not one of the six. But we do thank you for  all the pre-release hype you have brought to your vast and prolific stage. 101 at its best.

I can say this - there are plenty of books. They are of the highest quality and we feel it is priced fairly and will sell out quickly. JWH 1947 you'll have to wait . . .or call John.    HIB

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 05:26:05 AM »
I wonder if it would be to soon for them to sell copies at Dixon's.  I know I bought a copy of the previous book a couple of years ago at Dixon's Gunmakers Fair.
Kunk

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 05:49:39 AM »
I wonder if it would be to soon for them to sell copies at Dixon's.  

oh sure - one more thing to carry home from beautiful downtown Kempton  ;D

That would be a good idea
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline HIB

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 05:54:15 AM »
Kunk,    I do not know Dixson's show dates. But if they fall after July 4th a member of  the Kentucky Rifle Foundation book committee or a KRF board member should have books on site.  In addition, a supply will be set aside for the CLA show and various KRA  mini shows and the CLA show.   Regards,  HIB

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 06:35:40 AM »
Ill be there on Friday and hope to see you guys! I spoke with some one who should be "IN THE KNOW"yesterday, Our PREZ. and he was filing me in on the book and I personally am excited to see it! Sounds like a truly beautiful and well done book. I would expect nothing less, KRA/KRF is a first class operation! CAN NOT WAIT TO OWN IT!

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 06:39:56 AM »
HIB,

I'll hold my breath.  Dixon's Fair is July 23-25.
Kunk

jwh1947

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 07:26:16 PM »
!00% correct, HIB, I don't know for sure what's going on, but, since it is you who say my wisdom is infinite, let me posit a guess, based on my raw logic about what may occur.  Then time will tell how accurate the advocatus diabolicus is, or rather, as some profess, that he is nothing but a vacuous bag of ostentatious wind.  

Let's see, as a printer by trade, I see about an $80 book, retail.  Considering the goals of the Foundation, which are appropriate, perhaps club members would get a 50% price cut.  Now, for those who have priorities that keep us from the show, maybe about $12 shipping would cover the posting costs.  I am guessing on the weight.  I would be most surprised to see free books for members, and my bet is that the day for gratis books is over.

I put my reputation at stake here.  Give me 10% slack and let's all see what comes to pass.  That would be OK with me.  I'm only one, but I am one.  Looking forward to another good book.  Also want a copy of the forthcoming horn book.  I'll price that one out for y'all only if I hit the mark on this one, otherwise, I'll shut up...honestly.

Hope the show is a success and that all attendees have a safe trip to and from. All the best.  Wayne
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:50:05 PM by jwh1947 »

Offline HIB

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 01:35:02 AM »
1747jwh,    We shall see.   Only a few more days. Well worth the wait. Any chance you'll stay in Europe for a few extra months? You have been a great help getting the word out. But I think we can handle it from here. Once you have paid full retail is there any hope of getting a book review from you?

Safe trip. Just remember, you'll receive the full benefit of the things you are going to be exposed to if, and only if, your tongue remains in a stationary position. Ears don't work when lips are engaged.  Take pictures and send me a post card as promised. We will all miss you. Well, maybe not all but the vast majority. HIB

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 01:48:43 AM »
as some profess, that he is nothing but a vacuous bag of ostentatious wind.

You said that,,, not me!!  ;D ;D ;D

Have a good trip,
John
John Robbins

California Kid

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 05:14:16 AM »
I hope you can find a suitable bunker over there!

jwh1947

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 05:57:04 PM »
If you are giving me a choice of freedom of expression vs. a discount copy of your book, I'll take the former.  Y'all now have living proof of how the Star Chamber operates.  Be quiet or pay.  I remember from 10th grade..."Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage. Minds innocent and quiet take that for a hermitage."  That's the wonderful thing about America; it applies vocal dissidents and the unpopular, as well as to "important" types.  Peace be to all who cherish open discussion, inquiry, and a good romp.   ;)

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 06:36:04 PM »
Wayne , are you out of town? Will you be at KRA?

For those of you not involved with the KRA but might like to be someday...I just want to state for the record that we have no Evil Emperor, Darth Vader and our annual Convention bares no resemblance to a Party gathering at Nuremberg.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:37:01 PM by smshea »

jwh1947

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 11:36:04 PM »
Absolutely true, all meetings of the org. have been inspirational.  All my bluster is meant in good humor, and all these books have been quite good.  This one actually should be better than the last, as the editors were not bound to the actual language of the bulletins from which the material was extracted.

Scotty, I will truly be in Spain, so those who are waiting for an opportunity for a nose punch will need to wait until Dixon's.  At that event, I intend to employ a human shield of foreign-born damsels to block any backbiting or sucker punches.   ;D ;D

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 01:01:19 AM »
I was really looking forward to this year's KRA show, had a room reserved, ready to go....until, last week end.   Came down with a lower back problem, lot of pain,   Have been suffering all week.   Have been taking medicine and seems to be
improving, but not going to take a chance.   I thought the books would be for sale there and have asked Art DeCamp to
pick one up for me and John, was concerned that they  might go fast.   Feel bad that I can't make it, should be a good one.    Will have to rest up for Dixon's.............Don

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 01:35:30 AM »
Hey Don, Do you still have the room reserved?
Can I use your name? And credit card?

Just kidding, I'm stuck out on the boat.  :'(

Hope you're feeling better.
John
John Robbins