Author Topic: Ball size  (Read 3127 times)

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
Ball size
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:56:51 PM »
Yes I know to try several sizes of balls and so on. But A new one for me. Pick up one that has a choke barrel something like .40  in the bore and at the muzzle .390 Needs some ideas.  I am thinking something like .385 to start and go up from there.
David Veith
David Veith

Daryl

Re: Ball size
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:01:36 PM »
David- I've never heard of a .010" choke in a rifle barrel before. How long is the chokes section?  I wonder if this was a mistake.  If stuck with the choked barrel, I'd try a .385" or a .390".  I load and shoot a .400" in a .398" bore with a .020" patch - no problems.

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 03:03:22 AM »
First the measurement was a fast down and dirty one and off the top of my head. would say 2.5 to 3". Thank want to check my thinking.
David veith
David Veith

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:52:42 AM »
I don't know if there's any comparison, but my GRRW Hawken has a choked bore.  And it's a 58 rather than a 40 so the comparison gets really thin.  But here goes anyway.  A .575 ball won't even drop into the barrel.  A .570 ball will do so unless the very small sprue is off center.  I can seat them with a .010 patch, but with quite a bit of grunt on the start.  I've settled on a .562 ball and ticking patching.  Still requires a smack of the starter to get it going, but it's easy to seat afterwards.  If performance of mine is any indication, I wouldn't worry too much about yours feeling "too loose" or easy once you get past the choke.  Mine is easily the most accurate rifle it's been my pleasure to shoot, even with that .562 ball.