Author Topic: Working on another commemorative road sign  (Read 1778 times)

jwh1947

Working on another commemorative road sign
« on: June 24, 2010, 07:26:01 PM »
Some of you historians have been successful in getting road signs up to commemorate gunsmiths and gun building as a key to our national identity.  I mention the work some did up in Gratz to get the Reedy sign up.  Earlier, Timmy Raesor  from Springfield, VA, ramrodded the erecting of the Mathias Roessor sign in downtown Lancaster.  He's a direct descendant, incidentally.  Then the historians in Va apparently were successful in getting some up in Old Dominion.

I am now assisting a fine lady, Gail Culp, from Hummelstown Historical Society, in her efforts to get a Pa. Museum & Historical Commission marker set to commemorate the 1777-1778 gun factory that built guns there for the Continental Army and the local militias.  Her documentation is solid and I think this would be real good for local history and for the history of the rifles.  Our work is pretty much done; now it is up to the Commonwealth.  I'll let you know if and when we get a marker.  It would be only about a mile or so from Hershey Park, the #1 tourist attraction in our region.