Author Topic: Jaegers on exhibit at the CLA show #2 Posted  (Read 7273 times)

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Jaegers on exhibit at the CLA show #2 Posted
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:04:43 AM »
Tonight I posted the second of three Jaegers I photographed at the CLA Show last month.

Larry Pletcher has collected and posted a lot of photographs taken at the CLA show and I hope they encourage you all to attend, but the ones I am going to put on my web site are a bit different. They are informal snap shots of three jaegers. So far only one is posted.

http://www.flintriflesmith.com/Antiques/Jaegers2008CLA.htm

Gary
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:32:27 AM by flintriflesmith »
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Dave B

Re: Photos of some Jaegers on exhibit at the CLA show
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 06:35:32 AM »
Gary,
Thankyou very much. I love that carving. Holy cow! stand back and soak it up.
I guess this could be considered a barn gun cuz it aint got no butt plate on it. ;D ;D
Dave Blaisdell

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »
Some of that carving is so complex it's hard for me to figure out the steps to get there.  I think that guy did carving fairly regularly.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »
Very cool.  I would say probably Austria or nearby.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: Jaegers on exhibit at the CLA show #2 Posted
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 05:35:58 AM »
Go to the web page in the first message and scroll down to the second rifle.

This one has a much less fromal style of carving and engraving than the first one had. Any thoughts?

Gary

"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."

don getz

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »
Gary...thanks for posting those pictures.   I also looked at that first gun closely, the one without a butt piece, and it was
an outstanding gun.  Really liked the carving on it.  That whole  jager display was awesome.....Don

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 04:50:44 PM »
Don,
I wish I had time to photograph a dozen of those guns!

I wanted to post them to encourage folks who missed the show to be there next year. It has turned into a great opportunity to see stuff not normally found out in the light of day.

I'm sort of surprized that no one has commented on that tube of balls in the first rifles box. I think many of us would find that handy for a day hunt.

Gary

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:50:25 PM »
The second gun is very south German.  I would have said Austrian, but for the star on the cheek, which would tend to put it a bit west.  That wierd squished triggerguard is done on purpose (I presume it gets the hand further forward on the guard, making it easier for short-fingered fellows to reach the trigger).  Mostly I've seen it on Austrian guns...actually, so far, I have only seen it on Austrian guns.

I can imagine that the mark is supposed to be "IOAN SCH", for Johann Sch____???
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

keweenaw

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 09:58:04 PM »
Gary,

I have no knowledge worth mentioning about where the second jaeger was made but the guy on the butt plate probably isn't wearing a kilt, he's wearing a    φουστανέλλα.  If that's Greek to you it translates as foustanélla, which in various spellings is the name for a short skirt worn by men in various balkan countries.  Modern form of the word is fustanella. It's part of traditional Albanian and Greek dresses, worn today mainly by ceremonial Greek military units and Albanian folk dancers.  Why it would be a motif on a jaeger is anyone's guess.  But then it might be just some German's idea of what a drunken scotsman looks like in which case it is a kilt.

Tom

don getz

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 10:57:32 PM »
Tom....where in the h____ did you get the Greek fonts for typing that word?   As for the display, my son John told me today that he is going to get in touch with Roger Gonzalez to see if they might bring the display of Jagers down to our
show in Lewisburg in February....I hope he can convince them to do it.    In the event you didn't know, we will have a room with about 30 tables for antique guns at our show this year, I think it is almost filled already.  We have also expanded the contemporary side to about 60 tables, and have picked up some other great artisans, mostly things other
than guns.....a good variety of very talented people.  We are looking forward to a great show......Don

richardn

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 11:44:55 PM »
Wow! Wonderful workmanship and condition.

Richard Nicholas