Author Topic: "Finishing" a hat blank  (Read 3940 times)

rickevans

"Finishing" a hat blank
« on: July 17, 2010, 11:54:08 PM »
I bought my big broad brimmed hat from a vendor. I have been wearing it for a while to fit to my noggin. My question is, did all 18th century hats have a sewn in sweat band or lining of sorts? How would one go about adding those finishing touches and what materials are correct?

I am a blacksmith (older and turned the shop work over to apprentices and a nephew) in SE Georgia late 18th century period.

Rick

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: "Finishing" a hat blank
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 03:50:45 AM »
Cotton or linen lining sewed in at the bottom with a drawstring at the top to adjust to fit.  about 2-2.5 -3 inches wide depending. The sweatband/lining is sort of a suspension system.  I think on the 18th century round blocked hats that was even more important because the felt itself was not shaped to the head like a modern hat.  I have not tried on an original 18th century hat so I am not sure that is the casem but so I am told,  \

Mogan Shea can fill you in he makes very nice hats with handsewn in linings.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

BlackleafHats

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 04:10:40 AM »
Rick

I truly believe that if it fits your head currently and you like it, you could go with out. In fact, I do a small number of unlined hats a year for people that don't want to spend as much. Two of which will be headed to Dixons Gun Fair next week (two Cocked hats). I will often leave a liner out of a hat if I pull it of the dry board and find a flaw in the felt (a thin spot or color problem etc). Once I get a hat to that point there's no sense in not taking it the rest of the way. I just sell it for less (as what i like to call a "Beater Hat") and mark on the tag what the flaw is.

Remember that if you sew in a liner of cotton or linen that you will loose approximately a quarter inch in size and will have to refit and stretch the hat.

Cheers
Morgan Shea

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 04:38:09 AM by MJShea »

Offline Artificer

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 06:07:50 AM »
Dumb question for Morgan,

Did the sewn in liners also do away with the need to have a band on the bottom outside edge of the crown?  Always wondered about that.

Gus

BlackleafHats

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 07:34:21 PM »
Dumb question for Morgan,

Did the sewn in liners also do away with the need to have a band on the bottom outside edge of the crown?  Always wondered about that.

Gus

I have seen people do both. I choose not to do it in my hats for two reasons:
1. The historic examples that I have been able to find don't have them.
2. I find that it takes up too much room.

Cheers
Morgan Shea

rickevans

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 08:56:38 PM »
Good. This is definately a beater hat. I usually wear a head scarf under it anyway.
Thanks friends.