Author Topic: Combo rifle/shotgun  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Bill Weedman

Combo rifle/shotgun
« on: June 20, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »
I have an old percussion half stock with a side by side .36 / 20 ga barrel with back action locks. It is marked S. P. Hendrick with a perch belly stock. I suspect a Midwest maker but can find no reference to the maker.

I will try to post some pictures this weekend but am wondering if anyone has heard of this maker.

Thanks

Bill

Offline Steve Collward

Re: Combo rifle/shotgun
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »
Bill:
  Frank Seller's  "American Gunsmiths" and Gardner's  "Small Arms Makers" list a S.P Hendrick(s) in Dansville, Michigan.  Their dates of his operation vary a bit.  Seller's- 1867-1883 and Gardner 1875-1879.  At least this is a starting point for you.
  Look forward in seeing the photos.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 06:39:20 PM »
 These guns were very popular in California just after the Civil War. not only were many brought to California from other places, but many of the gunsmiths that produced them moved west, and set up shop.

Hungry Horse

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »
I have a combination gun that started life as a 24 gauge double with a rifle style curved buttplate.  the gun's furniture is silver and gerrnan silver with no maker's mark except Remington barrels and Goulcher back-action locks.  At some point in the past, someone sleeved the left barrel to about  .29 cal. and the right barrel remains 24 gauge.  A shaded pinhead front sight, lollipop tang sight and a fly in the left lock were all added. There's also a rear sight with two notches in it, the left notch for the rifle and the right notch for the shotgun.  The shaded pinhead front sight was already removed when I got it and I took the lollipop tang site off.  the sight that is currently on the front is a small brass blade that is staked in.  It works well for squirrel hunting and I've even managed to harvest a few doubles with it.

James Levy   
James Levy

Offline OLUT

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 03:28:46 PM »
More info on Simon P. Hendrick ...In "Michigan Gunsmiths" by Kelly & Wiltse, they cite the 1860 Dansville, Mi census showing him as age 37, and also the 1880 census listing him as a gunsmith. The "History of Ingham & Eaton Counties, Michigan" published 1880 states, "Simon P. Hendrick from Mumfordville, Monroe Co., NY, came to Michigan in 1839 or 1840, and located, with his parents, in Hamburg, Livingston Co. In 1851 he removed to Dansville, which is now his home."
The "Michigan State Gazetteer" for 1867-8 shows him as a Dansville gunsmith listed under HENDRYYX AND FLETCHER.

I have a typical New York style mule ear over under double rifle by him. It is rather a plain gun with .40 rifled over 40 rifled 29 inch round barrels with brass fittings and a lollipop tang sight.