Author Topic: Carl Pippert and the Bladensburg School  (Read 10814 times)

Online Fullstock longrifle

Carl Pippert and the Bladensburg School
« on: July 23, 2010, 07:15:29 PM »
A thread on Carl Pippert was started a while back that requested pictures of Carl Pippert's work, and I posted some pictures of one of his guns.  Unfortunately the topic was deleted or removed, so I thought I would start a new thread on Carl's work and re-post the pictures.

Carl Pippert was one of the founding fathers of the Kentucky Rifle Association and was a mentor to many current gunsmiths, including Earl Lanning and others.  He spent a lifetime studying original longrifles and was close friends with Old Joe Kindig.  He had total access to the Kindig collection and was able to study rifles that most of us only get to see in pictures.

As a result, Carl made some of the best contemporary longrifles I've ever seen, most of which, would have made the old masters proud.  His work was so well known, that his rifles, and the rifles of his students, became known as the "Bladensburg School" of gunsmithing.  

Carl was extremely knowledgeable about original Golden Age Kentucky's and his advice was frequently sought out by collectors.  Because of this wealth of knowledge, he was involved in the creation of the Kindig book, "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifles in it's Golden Age" as well as being involved (in some way or another) with almost every book written on the Kentucky rifle up until his death in 1999.

Carl was a true gentleman who was willing to help anyone who asked for an opinion,and he was always available for advice.  I was fortunate enough to have been his last apprentice and I not only consider him as my mentor, but he was my friend as well.

I'll attach several pictures of one of his rifles that was a bench copy of a Simon Lauck rifle (at least I believe he had the rifle in hand or had access to it).  I don't remember this particular rifle, so Carl may have added some of his own touches, but rest assured, they would have been appropriate for Lauck's work, or Carl wouldn't have done them.  He was in his 80's when he built this rifle, and even in his later years, (as you can see) his work was still great.

Frank

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 07:23:44 PM by Fullstock »

Re: Carl Pippert and the Bladensburg School
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »
I have a few more pictures of this rifle, enjoy.  ;D

Offline HIB

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »
Frank,   Wonderfull story.  Wonderfull rifle. Thanks for bringing the post back  up. When I went to look for original it it was gone. Hope to see more of Carl's work.  Regards, HIB

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »
Thank you Frank! You have gone above and beyond the call of duty for reposting these great pictures. If you hadn't mentioned Simon Lauck I would have attributed Carls fine rifle to J.P. Beck.  :-[
Joel Hall

jwh1947

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »
Most cool.  Thanks for the restart of a useful thread.  I state again, the hours spent in a musty, moldy, stench-filled motel room on the Carlisle Pike are the fondest memories I have of the old KRA meets.  Bourbon was consumed, stories were related, and laughs were had.  Much was learned.  And adjournment meant the beginning of the fest up the hill at Don's place.

The biggest smile I ever saw Pip wear was when Don would fetch a fishing rod and send him down to the breeder pool for a few action packed moments.  We're talking 24" trout in Pennsylvania, pellet fed.  

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »
Frank,
Thanks for re-posting the photos of a great rifle and for relating your insight on Mr. Pippert he sounds like he was a class act.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline louieparker

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 12:16:40 AM »
There is an article in the American Rifleman May 74 by Ashley Halsey Jr. ,entitled The Best Kentuckies--Old Or New ? . Pippert and four other makers are pictured in that article . He compares their work to the old masters...The guns in the article were owned by Albert Sullivan a Baltimore collector  .  LP

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 04:59:12 AM »
Thank you Frank! You have gone above and beyond the call of duty for reposting these great pictures. If you hadn't mentioned Simon Lauck I would have attributed Carls fine rifle to J.P. Beck.  :-[

Lauck worked in Lebanon for a few years and almost certainly had some of Becks influence, although I think this has more of Laucks  Virginia influence(carving anyway) .

I have been privileged to see a few of Carl's rifles and can say that his work is of the very best of his generation.... and ours! Truly one of the fathers of Contemporary Building and a master of the art.   

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 04:06:17 AM »
Beautiful work. Amazing engraving on that patchbox. Thanks for the pics.

jwh1947

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 04:55:33 PM »
Scotty, I think you are entirely correct.  Frank, your opinion.   Wayne
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:43:51 AM by jwh1947 »

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »
We know that Simon Lauck lived early on in Lebanon Township in Lancaster.  I've heard much speculation that he apprenticed with J. P. Beck, but as far as I know, there is no conclusive proof of that.  The one thing I can say for sure is, if he lived in Lebanon during the time Beck was working, Lauck had to have seen and handled J.P. Beck's work, and it shows.

Frank

jwh1947

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 01:47:52 AM »
No conclusive proof of that here either, and I once went looking for it, primarily in State Archives, Colonial Records, and Lebanon County Historical Society archives.  One can locate J. P. Beck as active during the Revolution, but I have yet to see a Beck/Lauck association established.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
Wayne

One of us needs to get into the Salem Lutheran Church archives and dig around. It's the oldest Church in town and we know that Beck was a member of the congregation very early, Likely from its founding in 1766 I belive. There is a recently surfaced document that connects Beck and Beyer but I would love to see the names are on those early congregation lists. 

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »
Just one of many super guns by Carl, but I am somewhat confused by connecting this gun with one made by J. P. Beck,
personally I don't see the similarities....there is nothing on this gun that looks like a Beck............Don

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 05:19:10 PM »
I see Beck in the lines of architecture. Maybe just my eyesight. Don, you're really gonna love the part when I also see John Sheetz's style coming out in the carving and the wire work. I admit a weakness in distinguishing between early Lancaster and a lot of Virginia rifles. Most of the original Lauck carving I have seen pictures of has been more of the incised type with a lot of )))) Fordneyish gill work.
Joel Hall

jwh1947

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »
Don, my sentiments, exactly.  But, then again, you and I have seen  just about all of them...all the good ones we know of, at least.  Wayne

Scotty, I will accompany you.  Let's start in the grave yard.  There is also a paper around my desk that lists a Samuel Boyer, almshouse, Lebanon Twp.  I think he died a pauper and was buried in Potter's Field. 

I buy the J. P. Beck/Nicholas Beyer association, based entirely upon the hands of the masters.  Their work is really close, with the latter adding a further "Dutchified" flair.  Both are grand masters in my book, and the person who owns either is fortunate, indeed.