Author Topic: First shots  (Read 5206 times)

Offline b bogart

First shots
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:30:27 PM »
This past Wednesday I was able to put 20 shots thru my brand new 50 caliber flintlock. It's no beauty but it's built! 4 on the paper, another 5-6 on the 2'x2' cardboard and the rest who knows where. I have some adjustments on the sights to do, and some additional tuning on the lock (yes Tim C the half cock notch does hold now that I tightened the tumbler/cock screw). Jeez now I have to start another.
Bruce

Daryl

Re: First shots
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 03:36:53 AM »
Got some pictures, Bruce?

Offline b bogart

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
Not yet Daryl. When I do you may be disappointed after seeing the work by this Boards members and especially your brother's! I'lll work on pics.
Bruce

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 02:36:57 AM »
This past Wednesday I was able to put 20 shots thru my brand new 50 caliber flintlock. It's no beauty but it's built! 4 on the paper, another 5-6 on the 2'x2' cardboard and the rest who knows where. I have some adjustments on the sights to do, and some additional tuning on the lock (yes Tim C the half cock notch does hold now that I tightened the tumbler/cock screw). Jeez now I have to start another.
Bruce
Bruce: You say the half draw notch did not hold :o and that tightening the hammer/cock screw cured it ???  I thought I'd ask that question b/4 someone else would - can't see the connection 'tween the half draw notch and the hammer screw!

Course we learn something near everyday!

Offline b bogart

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 03:01:09 AM »
Yep Roger, don't know why it worked that way but it did. I tested it before firing and after tightening and it held no matter how hard I pulled on the trigger. I don'tsee the correlation either but ?????
Bruce

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:25:43 AM »
Tightening the hammer most have tightened the bolster somehow.  I'd be looking at the bolster screws for snugggness. I've had mine work loose over time so now I check all the lock screws every time I clean the lock - which is ever time I clean the rifle.  Keeping an eye on it prevents it from losening - it knows it's being watched!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 02:16:22 AM »
Tightening the hammer most have tightened the bolster somehow.  I'd be looking at the bolster screws for snugggness. I've had mine work loose over time so now I check all the lock screws every time I clean the lock - which is ever time I clean the rifle.  Keeping an eye on it prevents it from losening - it knows it's being watched!
Bolster or Bridle  ??? ???

Now< I'm really ferhuddled.   Tell me you meant to say 'bridle screws' Please ;D

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 03:12:44 AM »
Yes - bridle screws.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:44:51 AM »
Ok you guys win! Yes you are correct!
@!*% that foot tastes bad!
Bruce