Author Topic: Berks County screw tip.  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Berks County screw tip.
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:46:47 PM »
Hi. Could someone please tell me what size tap and die are needed to make a Berks Co. style screw tip horn and where to get them? Also, what size on the horn tip big end to run the die. Thanks.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Berks County screw tip.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:07:23 AM »
Nate,

Here is a thread about screw tips that was probably before you joined the board. Maybe it will help?

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=217.0

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline hornturner

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 02:53:29 PM »
Nate;
Most original Berks County horns that I've handled had relatively coarse threads, when compared to other varieties of shop made screw tip horns.  Sometimes this type of thread is called "box" threads, or wood thread.   I've handled original Berks horns with 1/2"-8; 9/16"-9; and 9/16"-10 threads.

For replicating Berks horns, I use 1/2"-8 thread.  You can purchase a 1/2"-8 tap for cutting internal (Female) threads in wood from several sources such as Woodcrafters, etc.  This tap will work fine on horn.  The male threads on the screw tip can be cut with a metal cutting lathe, or a 1/2"-8 die, if you can find one.  I have very carefully layed out these threads and then hand filed them with a triangular file.  This produces threads that closely approximate the originals, as many of the original tips I've seen have what appears to be coarsely filed male threads.

A source for custom made taps and dies is a company called TapcoUSA.  They have a website, and are located in the Chicago area, if I remember correctly.  Currently I am using a 1/2"-8 die produced by this company for my Berks horn work.

Art DeCamp

billd

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 05:18:49 AM »
North American Tool also makes custom taps. There delivery is good, prices seem inline with other quality taps. We use them in the shop and have no problems with metal cutting. I'm sure cutting horns is something their engineering dept. would have fun with.

Bill

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 07:17:29 AM »
Thanks Randy, Art, and Bill. I think I have located the tap and die through Grizzly. Next time I'm over that way {about 30 mi.} I'll pick up a set and play around a little. Thanks again.