Author Topic: #40 pocket drill  (Read 7425 times)

jamesthomas

#40 pocket drill
« on: August 01, 2010, 01:05:59 AM »
 Well I just got back from the range, needed to try out some cast rbs and try some # 40 pocket drill I've been reading about.The drill shot tighter groups than my pillow ticking at 25 yards.I 'll be shooting at 50 and 100yrds next week sometime but so far so it looks like I will be changing over patch material.Lube is TOW mink oil.The cast rbs shot just as good as swaged. Cost me about $2.25 per 100 rbs to cast. Sorry but i did'nt take any pictures, maybe next time. Also I would like to thank Greg Estes of River Bend Gun Club in Cumming, Ga. for adjusting my trigger pull from around 9 lbs. to about 4 lbs. Made a great difference in my shooting.

mike e

Re: #40 pocket drill
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:05:39 AM »
Now you don't have any excuse for missing!!!! :D :D

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 05:56:12 PM »
James - have you measured the drill with a mic, or calipers?  Years ago I ran into a supply of some pocket drill that measured just over .020". It was the most accurate patch material I'd used until then, at least as good as any I've used since.  I really liked the tight weave and it's toughness.  Of course, years ago, I ran out of it, only buying 5 or 6 yards of it at the time - all they had.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:36:12 AM »
A while back I bought a yard of heavy mattress ticking from JoAnn's Fabrics. It miked out at .019-.020. Then I washed it, let it hang dry, and ironed it. It bulked up to .024-.026 and the weave tightened. It seems to shoot well and I have reused a patch or two experimentally. Nice for filling out the deep grooves on my Coleraine barrel.

YORKTOWNE54

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:16:41 AM »
Canute, whats your load combo and rifling depth? When I washed and dried that .020 ticking it seemed to loosen the fabric up a little. Trying to figure out if the loosening of the denser fabric helps or hurts filling out .010 to .012 of rifling?

jamesthomas

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
 Daryl, I miced it at about .19 to .20. the ticking was around .17 to .18. The weave is tighter than ticking and it let me shoot more times without wiping.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
"shoot more times without wiping" - you still have to wipe?  Interesting, but does not compute.  Even in the deep groove Rice and Getz barrels, using a ball .005" under bore size (.445" in a .45, .495" in a .50, .535" in a .54) and a .020" to .0225" denim or ticking patch allows unlimited shooting for everyone here. My daughter Carol is suing a .445" ball in her Mom's .45, with a .0215" ticking patch (mic), with spit or WWWasher fluid + oil) and has no problem loading and shooting the trail of 55 shots without wiping.

Now, I know some guys don't mind wiping or like wiping evey now and then, however I've always held, if fouling is actually building up, ie; accumulative, the bore's condition is changing, consistancy goes out the window and therefore the accuracy is not as good as it could be.  That is, could be with a combination that didn't allow ANY buildup.

In Taylor's round bottomed Rice .50 with .016" rifling, we test loaded a .508" ball with a .019" (mic) patch very easily - no cuts and of course no fouling buildup.  He is routinely using a .019" (my measurment) denim with spit or any other lube along with a .495" ball.  He started with a .490" ball and the same patch, but the .495 proved more accurate, hense the change.  It is very easy to load and when cleaning, ie; flusing the barrel in a bucket of water there is so little fouing comes out, the water barely turns greyish.  His current load is around 85gr. 2F for target shooting.

jamesthomas

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »
 Well, I have shot around 40 times without wiping, could shoot more I guess but I have not been at the range long enough to shoot more ;D. I'll catch myself wiping around 20 shots, but thats because I used to have wipe after around 10 shts using the pillow ticking. I'm trying to break the habit of wiping since I don't have to now. Now I spend more time shooting instead of wiping. Double checked the thickness, right at .20. I have a green mountain square grove .50 cal. shoot a cast .490 rb. with olive oil and bees wax and a couple of drops of Dawn. Just ran out of TOW Mink Oil. I'll stay with my own lube from now on,shoots just as good.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »
James - if you have a .495" mould, I'd try that with the same patch.  With the GM barrel, the .020" and .490" probably does a pretty good job.  A .495" might just tighten that up into a 1/2" 50 yard gun - that worked in my .45 GM barrel. Fed well, they are just as accurate as any other barrel on the market, perhaps more accurate than many as well. I know mine shoots as well as my Goodoien 'match' .40 barrel - yet cost less than 1/2 the price.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 08:28:20 PM »
Yorktowne54:

My Coleraine .50 has .016 deep round bottom rifling, so a groove to groove diameter of .532".

I have been shooting a .490 ball with the ~.025 washed ticking for a ball and patch diameter of .540". The ticking compresses down easily, so I get a tight fit but slick loading. Using Permatex (NON-pumice) hand cleaner as lube I can blast away for as long as I like without wiping.

I tried a .495 ball but it was like trying to get a golf ball down a garden hose. I felt like one of those 18th century Jaegers with the steel ramrod and mallet. Maybe I need to work on the crown. Maybe I should just be happy with the .490.

YORKTOWNE54

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 06:16:25 AM »
Funny you say that, I just had the lands taken down a hair at the muzzle  And  now I can load my 535rb with .020 ticking without a problem in the Green Mountain. Even tried some .030 denim with the 535.It went down but needed some persueding.What a difference is made when no gas leakage is present. The increased efficiency is heard and felt, especially if you forget your ear plugs.

jamesthomas

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 01:39:15 AM »
 Daryl, Don,t have a .495 mold, and spending 20 for a box of swaged just to see if they work ain't in my plans. .490  fits pretty tight. Now, when I get use to the lighter trigger pull things will be all right.

Offline satwel

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 04:14:03 PM »
After a lot of experimentation, #40 pocket drill from Joanne's Fabrics is now all I use for patching. Highest scores I've ever shot were with #40 drill cloth and spit as lube. .490 and .440 balls in GM barrels. No wiping between shots. Can't wait to see how it works in the .50 Colerain barrel I'm using in my present build.

mglamb

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 04:32:15 AM »
After a lot of experimentation, #40 pocket drill from Joanne's Fabrics is now all I use for patching. Highest scores I've ever shot were with #40 drill cloth and spit as lube. .490 and .440 balls in GM barrels. No wiping between shots. Can't wait to see how it works in the .50 Colerain barrel I'm using in my present build.

What's the thickness of this material?