Author Topic: Canada Geese on a 20ga Fowler  (Read 16147 times)

BrownBear

Re: Canada Geese on a 20ga Fowler
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 08:31:51 AM »
Good points.  Along with the dog, most of the hunters I know using 28's have "graduated" down to them over many, many years of hunting with lots of success using larger gauges including the 20.  They're just darned good shots in the first place and exercise the restraint learned through maturity.  Okay, most of us are geezers!   ;D

And frankly my preferred load for the 12 gauge ML reads more like a standard load for the modern 16 gauge (1 1/8 oz shot, but at around 1000 fps).  Lots more margin for error, even as I also work closer in pursuit of the same margin. 

I have ready access to resident geese in the fall, and frankly would prefer a 10 on dedicated hunts for them, just to allow me to use a little bigger shot while not being penalized in pattern density for a little more flexibility in the kinds of shots I can take.  But when on a pheasant hunt I'm presented with exactly the right shot I don't hesitate to take ducks or even geese with the smaller gauges.  Very carefully!  But I wouldn't choose any of the small gauges for a dedicated goose hunt.

northmn

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 03:04:28 PM »
A lot of the use of the smaller bores or the more sporting shooting is also associated with the availabilty of game.  A resident of South Dakota one time told me that hunting pheasants to him was about like butchering chickens.  He could go to a farmer friends field and in about 15 minutes have his limit. A flintlock fowler in that situation would add to the fun.  After opening week in Minnesota where I hunt you may be lucky to get a shot in a days hunt.  Duck hunting tend to slow down after the first week for a while and then pick up late (so does pheasant hunting)  Grouse hunting used to be pretty good but has gotten so competitive for trails and such that it is getting tougher.  Grouse used to hold for a pointer, now the one I see would out run a pheasant.  Taking up the challenges are less inviting with fewer opportunites.  Also with fewer opportunities self restraint is more challenged which often leads to more crippling.  Also, the MNDNR made the grouse trails longer and the pheasant fields larger and harder to walk the last few years (it couldn't be my older legs and feet now could it)

DP

BrownBear

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Also, the MNDNR made the grouse trails longer and the pheasant fields larger and harder to walk the last few years (it couldn't be my older legs and feet now could it)

Hmmmph.  Must be a conspiracy.  Up here the USGS raises the height of the mountains every year, and come to think of it, ADF&G has made the deer, moose, caribou and elk a whole bunch heavier.   :D

Daryl

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »
BrownBear -  tougher, too.

BrownBear

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 07:59:48 PM »
BrownBear -  tougher, too.

Aint that the truth.  Just ask the guys behind the gun counters.  They've experienced a lot in the three years since they were old enough for a drivers license. ::)

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 05:26:38 PM »
Would one waterfowling with flintlock make up paper cartridges beforehand or just load in the field? I'm thinking about fumbling with stuff in a small skiff or tight goose pit.
Found it more better to load in field..shot flask -powder flask..wads in pouch.....

If your worried about a reloading quick..just bring a second gun. 2 Fowler's are  better than one...Ha Ha.
Hunt with a double..use a single for back up..it works!... If you have to chase a cripple your ready....

In Canada, you can have only one loaded gun per shooter, which may contain a maximum of 3 rounds of ammo. Federal Migratory Game Bird Law.

BrownBear

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
It's been a while since I read the regs, but as I recall the same is true in the US.  There's a max size limit of 10 gauge, too.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:52:31 PM by BrownBear »

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »
Yes - 10 bore is max here too. Buddy of mine has a double Hollis 5 bore - originally a 6, but re-furbished by H&H in the late 70's & re-bored by them to clean up the 36" tubes. It is exceptionally heavy - with rear sight complete.  Will used to delight in using it on the Smithers Trap range with a mere 2oz. #9's and about 150gr. 1F. It would powder the birds at 16 yards with that load -  1,170 pellets in 2 oz.of 9's.  He'd have tried the gun on ducks, but the law prohibited that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 06:26:14 PM by Daryl »

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 04:30:54 AM »
It's been a while since I read the regs, but as I recall the same is true in the US.  There's a max size limit of 10 gauge, too.
I hunt in Wisconsin..law states firearm may not be larger then 10 ga. and hold no more than 3 rounds..Talked to local Game warden..He states no limit on guns as long as 3 shots only..Granted how in the world would some one be able to pick up a second gun after the shooting starts?
My earlier comment was intended for back up if needed for chasing downed birds.