Author Topic: Northwest Trade Gun at Upcoming Local Auction  (Read 4752 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Northwest Trade Gun at Upcoming Local Auction
« on: September 16, 2008, 05:49:26 PM »
I found out about an auction to take place 150 miles north of home this coming Saturday. The add is for the sale of artifacts from a privately owned museum. Very vaguely listed are "some old muzzleloading rifles". They only show one photo of what looks like a converted NW gun. May just have to make the trip and see the rest, maybe??? :-\ [ftp][/ftp]
Joel Hall

bigsky

Re: Northwest Trade Gun at Upcoming Local Auction
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:06:45 PM »
Joe,
Where is the auction located?  Be sure to take lots of pictures.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 08:48:31 PM »
The auction is the Zellar Old Time Museum in Germfask Michigan, that's in the upper penninsula. I will definately take my camera if I make it.
Joel Hall

doug

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 05:35:36 PM »
      Northwest trade guns were made in percussion after 1860ish until the late 1800s.  The gun is not necessarily a conversion.  If you are lucky others might not recognize it and you can get it for a reasonable price

cheers Doug

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »
Northwest trade guns were made in percussion after 1860ish until the late 1800s.

Actually I seem to recall that the Hudson Bay Co. sold percussion NWT guns in their stores clear up into the 1950's,

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

doug

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:58:08 AM »
Actually I seem to recall that the Hudson Bay Co. sold percussion NWT guns in their stores clear up into the 1950's,

I have certainly heard stories of them being in stock in the back room until somewhere around then but I think those guns represented old stock still unsold.  I am a bit foggy about when production ended but think it may have been around 1900 or slightly later.  The imperial line of percussion shotguns (also HBC) I think were made into the 1920s or early 30s but I also think the market for them was extremely limited by that time.

cheers Doug