Author Topic: Rifling Worm Blank Jig  (Read 9530 times)

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
Rifling Worm Blank Jig
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:05:15 AM »
Here is a jig that actually came to me in dream last night. :o  There have been a few concerns over the years about the jig used to drill the rifling rod mounting hole as depicted in our little book about making a wooden rifling bench.  In the book, there's a photo of a scrap of wood that is held against the end of the worm, a.k.a. tail stock.  The piece of wood has a hole in it to allow passage of the drill bit into the tail stock at a fairly straight shot.  This concept has been improved upon rather dramatically and since a picture (four of them to be exact) is worth a thousand words, here they are:
  Here a 1 5/8" hole has been bored into a piece of thick wood to a depth of 1".  The 1 5/8" hole is the book's given diameter of the worm's tail stock.  The wood is then removed from the resultant cavity.
  Next the pilot hole is drilled completely through the block.  The block was backed up with a board to keep the edges of the hole from splitting out.
The hole was then enlarged to accept the drill bit diameter of your choice to drill the rifling rod hole into the tail stock.
  In use, the tail stock is inserted into block.  The fit should be close and free from any wobble, but not really snug nor loose.  The hole is then drilled into the tail stock.  Notice the drill bit at the top of the photo?  If your drill bit is not long enough to go as deep as you wish, remove the block and drill carefully until the desired depth is attained.  Clear as mud?

Cheers, Bookie
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:37:34 AM by rich pierce »
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline runastav

Re: Rifling Worm Blank Jig
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »
Bookie, did I show you my drilljig made of brass?
Runar
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:38:03 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »
Hei Runar!  Your jig looks really nice, Runar.  I wish I had your machinist skills & machinery.  Where did you find that big piece of brass?  mvh  Bookie
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline runastav

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:23:22 PM »
Takk Bookie, I  often drop in the local junk dealer for chip metalscrap :)
Mvh
Runar

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:46:21 AM »
Hei Runar.  Perhaps the wife and I should take a cruise from Norge og visit you, too.  Mvh  Bookie
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline runastav

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »
Hei Bookie
Bookie, it is a honor  to us if you and your wife comes to Norway and my home is open for you :)
Mvh
Runar

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 01:21:05 AM »
Hei Runar.  Takk.  The wife od jeg spoke on this today.  Nothing decided yet. ???  Mvh, Bookie
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971