Author Topic: Navy Arms 12 Ga. Double Shotgun  (Read 9307 times)

Leanin Chair

Navy Arms 12 Ga. Double Shotgun
« on: August 13, 2010, 02:58:05 AM »
Just bought one of these, (I've always wanted one) and after shooting 6 shots today the right hammer wouldn't come back!!!  After taking the locks out I discovered 2 metal parts in the wood channel where the locks go.  I discovered that the bridles on both locks were broken.  Checked on the internet, called Navy Arms and they said they didn't have any parts from Pietta in Italy (who made the shotgun) since the 1980's.  Tried Numeric & Dixie and no one has bridles for these locks.  Any one out there have any parts or do I have to make some?

northmn

Re: Navy Arms 12 Ga. Double Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 02:12:29 PM »
First of all I doubt if you broke the bridles.  You must have either broke the sears or the tumbler notches.  Pedersoli has a web site and still makes the doubles.  In a worse case you might have to modify parts from a Siler lock or other brand.  They were a very popular gun.

DP

Leanin Chair

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 07:07:42 PM »
Each bridle is in 3 parts. Made out of white metal. They were broken when I got the gun apparently. Should have pulled the locks and looked first. Live & Learn. I've epoxied the parts back together for a pattern and will make them myself if I can't find any.  Made by Pietta.

northmn

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 08:01:47 PM »
I'll be darned.  usually bridles would not break.  A gun can be fired without them but the screws need to be shortened.

DP

Leatherbelly

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 08:09:49 PM »
  I owned one!...for about a month! ;)

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 09:03:39 PM »
  I owned one!...for about a month! ;)

Don't think that was a Navy Arms, LB - you bought it from me - I got it from Len after breaking 10 straight with it - the Navy Arms are heavier than that one, have almost the proper amount of drop at the comb and normally have much better nipple/hammer fit than the other Italian doubles.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 01:04:21 AM »
 no, it was. I bought it at a Rondy and Niffer owns it know.(Jim Wright's daughter) Navy Arms stamped on it.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:32:52 PM »
Could very well be - you've gone through more guns than many collectors have. (me-too, I think)

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 11:34:29 PM »
Give me an original sxs any time  English made of course
Feltwad

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »
 No argument here, but my flinter 20 did beat a Manton 14 bore double cap-gun at the rondy.  Personally, I prefer shooting that 14 bore.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 06:55:08 AM »
New locks for the Pedersoli double shotgun can be had for, I think, about $125 each.
I'da swored I posted this a couple of days ago with appropriate web address

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »
Trouble is, you can get a good lock for $30.00 less than that price but it won't fit the mortice as purchased.  I'd be inclined to go through Track's book (full size pictures) and try to cross-match their plate to one that can be modified to fit, but with good parts.

Leanin Chair

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 12:07:25 AM »
Turns out they are pretty easy to make. A trip to the hardware for some 1/8" steel and 6 hours later for drilling sawing and filing and I have 2 new bridles.

Offline newtire

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 09:47:09 PM »
Turns out they are pretty easy to make. A trip to the hardware for some 1/8" steel and 6 hours later for drilling sawing and filing and I have 2 new bridles.
Sounds like what I'll be doing.  One was broken and the other has a big crack.  I have a Pedersoli also but they aren't broken and exactly the same size.  Still can't get the bridles separately and ,like you say, the lock mortice is different.

I know this is an old thread but information is timeless.  These guns are older than 120 days

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »
Another avenue you can pursue, is to use Track's catalog and match the throw of the hammers and lock plate size, then buy and install new locks.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:08:38 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 09:25:47 PM »
 This damage is the result of someone snapping the hammer while the nipples, or the barrel, is out of the gun. There is no stop in the lock, so it relies on the contact with the nipple to stop the forward travel. The straight stocked, light, 12 gauge Navy Arms made was called an "upland"

Hungry Horse