Author Topic: more info?  (Read 4206 times)

caliber45

more info?
« on: August 23, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
Moderator -- Please route this to whichever Forum topic is appropriate: Hey, guys, unless this is intentional on the part of you "insiders" to keep us newbies in the dark, how about including a bit more information? For example, what in the heck does CLA stand for? Where is the event? When? Where is Dixon's held? Are there any shows in Arizona (where I live)? When is Friendship? (Friendship, IN, obviously is so small that the town officials don't have a clue about how to capitalize on the show and put up a decent website explaining where, when, how, etc.) So. Unless you old hands are keeping this stuff a secret amongst yourselves, the rest of us could use a bit more information. Even if contributors leave out pertinent information, you moderators could insert parenthetical information to make it a bit more informative. Also, how do we get to the "over the fence" feature? Though the ALR Forum is wonderful and exceptionally helpful, I sometimes feel like I'm having to peek through a knothole in the fence. Thanks for letting me vent. Keep up the (other) good work! -- paulallen, tucson az

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: more info?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »
Moderator -- Please route this to whichever Forum topic is appropriate: Hey, guys, unless this is intentional on the part of you "insiders" to keep us newbies in the dark, how about including a bit more information? For example, what in the heck does CLA stand for? Where is the event? When? Where is Dixon's held? Are there any shows in Arizona (where I live)? When is Friendship? (Friendship, IN, obviously is so small that the town officials don't have a clue about how to capitalize on the show and put up a decent website explaining where, when, how, etc.) So. Unless you old hands are keeping this stuff a secret amongst yourselves, the rest of us could use a bit more information. Even if contributors leave out pertinent information, you moderators could insert parenthetical information to make it a bit more informative. Also, how do we get to the "over the fence" feature? Though the ALR Forum is wonderful and exceptionally helpful, I sometimes feel like I'm having to peek through a knothole in the fence. Thanks for letting me vent. Keep up the (other) good work! -- paulallen, tucson az
Whew , let me see if I can answer your questions:
CLA stands for Contempoary Longrifle Association see this link http://www.longrifle.com/ They hold an annual show/event in Lexington KY every August, members antend the show free with membership card.

Dixon's is held each year in Chuck Dixon's front/back/side yard! See this link
http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/index.php?section=gunmakersfair&link=about

AZ shows? I am sure there are but I defer to others in the area.

For Friendship events look here http://www.nmlra.org/index.asp

Also, how do we get to the "over the fence" feature?
"
I assume you want to know how to look at the "Over the Back Fence"
forum. You only need to be a ALR member and be logged in. This forum
not available to "guests" and if you are a member and not logged in you
are considered a "guest". You had to log in to make this post so you should
be able to read and/or post in "Over the Back Fence", its just under the For
Sale and Tutorial forums.

Even if contributors leave out pertinent information, you moderators could insert parenthetical information to make it a bit more informative
Well I guess we could but all moderators/admins are volunteers and we monitor the board as we have time. Sometimes we have problems reading peoples minds and assume that if something isn't clear to someone that he/she would "ask and ye shall receive". One thing I can say about the members of this board they are not reluctant to answer questions unless its about their super secret recipe for moonshine ;D

Hope I answered them all.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:22:13 PM »
Hi Paul,

I'm not a moderator, but maybe I can help out on some of this.  I don't think anyone is trying to keep anything secret, but we do tend to use abbreviations and assume (wrongly) that everyone just knows what we're talking about.  Sorry.

CLA = Contemporary Longrifle Association  http://www.longrifle.ws/
The CLA is a non-profit organization of collaborative members, who are collectors, makers, and students dedicated to the art of contemporary longrifles, accoutrements and related items made after the mid-twentieth century.
The annual CLA meeting and Show for 2010 was held this past weekend in Lexington, Ky.  It is usually held in August and has been held in Lexington for the past several years.  I'm not certain about the location for 2011, but hope it remains in Lexington.

"Dixon's" = Dixon's Gunmakers Fair http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/index.php?section=gunmakersfair  The Gunmakers Fair is hosted by Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop at their site in Kempton, PA , traditionally on the last full weekend every July.

"Are there any shows in Arizona ?"  The only related event that I am aware of is the NMLRA, oops, the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association's Western National Shoot in Phoenix, AZ.  The next one will be held in March 2011.  http://www.nmlra.org/   

"When is Friendship? "  Again see http://www.nmlra.org/  There are events going on there all year but the 2 largest gatherings are the Spring Shoot in June each year and the National Championship Shoot every September.  This year Sept. 11-19.

"...how do we get to the "over the fence" feature?"  You should be able to see the Over the Back Fence forum when you are logged in on ALR.  It's the last forum, just above the Library section.  If you can't see it, contact one of the real moderators for some help.

Hope this helps.  Now you are one of the "insiders". ;)

-Ron

Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:23:54 PM »
Dennis, you are too quick for me!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

caliber45

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 09:10:56 PM »
Thank you, gents. I do appreciate it. I am a member, so should be able to find the Over the Fence goodie. Thanks again! -- paulallen

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:35:23 PM »
KRA ... Kentucky Rifle Association

LMF ... Laurel Mountain Forge

DGW ... Dixie Gun Works

AF.. Aqua Fortis

LOTM .. Last of the Mohicans

LOL .. Laugh out loud

Thanks for the reminder, Paul. I think the abbreviation thing comes with familiarity with the subject matter, rather than an 'insider thing'. I have been marooned in upstate NY for more than half a century, and still stumble over some of the muzzleloading abbreviations. It's a different dialect than mainstream lingo.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:41:46 PM »
RCA= Rifles of Colonial America, by George Shumway, not the record company. ;D
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:39:22 PM »
TOW = Track of the Wolf

MBS = Muzzleloader Builders Supply

"Thoughts" or "Kindig's book" = short for the book Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in it's Golden Age by Joe Kindig, Jr.

-Ron

Ron Winfield