Author Topic: Opinions on kits  (Read 16061 times)

Timberdog

Opinions on kits
« on: August 18, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
New to the board so hello everyone. I searched this
topic and did not find anything but if it's
a repeat topic I'm sorry.
 I looking at building a kit flinter. I've narrowed
the choices down to Chambers or Dunlap for the
90% complete. Anyone with knowledge or
experience with either kit, comments welcome.
Thank you

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Opinions on kits
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
I've built two of Jim's "kits" - a Pennsylvania fowler and a Mark Silver Virginia.  Both became very very good firearms.  Jim's wood is good and hard, and the rest of the components are top notch.  I like them a lot.  I cannot comment on Dunlap's stuff...no experience.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
One should keep in mind that many of these longrifle or smoothbore kits are not 'drop-in' kits. There is considerable work needed in inletting parts, wood removal, engraving & carving.

They are not 1 hour kits as are some which use loose machine inletting.  Chambers kits make amazing guns when completed by a good riflesmith - can be as good as 'the best' hand made item of the same school.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:22:17 PM »
The good news is that if you get either one, get a copy of "The Gunsmith of grenville County" Somewhere....its hard to find right now........ and a DVD of building a Chamber's Kit............then ask lots of questions here on ALR you can have a great experience a build a great gun...with patience!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

billd

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:24:31 PM »
Last I knew, Jim Chambers got his wood from Wayne Dunlap and Bob Lepley did the inetting for both.  From that point on it's who has the pattern you like best.

Bill

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:32:41 PM »
Hi Ya Timberdog,

Welcome to ALR.  As you have likely realized, this is a great site, especially for us novice builders.  Your profile doesn't say what area you're from.  If you are anywhere near central Kentucky, I urge you to come to the CLA Show this Friday and Saturday.  Chambers, Dunlap and many other suppliers and builders will be there.

I put together my second long rifle from a Dunlap Isaac Haines "kit".  It was good quality and I was happy with it, no problems with what they provided.  I have a Chambers "kit" on the shelf that I haven't started on yet.  It looks to be great stuff too.

Just my opinion, but Dunlap's main deal is wood, not just gun stocks, but lumber to all sorts of craftsmen.  The Chambers' focus is flintlocks.  Nothing against Dunlap, but knowing what I know now, Chamber's gets the nod.

Have you decided what style of flinter you want to build?  If not, I would suggest studying originals in the various reference books (or come to the CLA Show) before you decide.

-Ron

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Timberdog

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 07:48:36 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm from Louisville ky but have a club
membership meeting saturday and we shoot Sunday.
I was hoping they my be at friendship this year also.
I'm looking at a transition or something in a 38" barrel.
I find the long barrel to be over my eye level when loading.
I'm in no rush to "throw" this together by no means
and have been reading the art of building the Pennsylvania
longrifle. Just trying to save and get opinions. Thanks again
guys

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
Sounds like you're doing it right.  Yes, I'm sure they will be at Friendship, the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

-Ron
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:55:25 PM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 08:26:03 PM »
Timberdog,

Welcome to ALR.  At the risk of suggesting something you've already considered, you might also want to look at Jim Klein's kits (www.jklongrifles.com) as they fit the 90% complete criteria you mentioned, though maybe not the 38" criteria.  I'm working on my first rifle, Jim's Peter Berry rifle, and am very pleased thus far.  Also, Jim is excellent at post-sale help and answering questions (I can attest to this personally!).

DrTim's suggestion of the Grenville County book is a good one.  I've used that as well as Shumway's Recreating the American Longrifle (in addition to Dixon's).  I've found each book to be particularly good at different stages of the building process.

Good luck,
Bill

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »
New to the board so hello everyone. I searched this
topic and did not find anything but if it's
a repeat topic I'm sorry.
 I looking at building a kit flinter. I've narrowed
the choices down to Chambers or Dunlap for the
90% complete. Anyone with knowledge or
experience with either kit, comments welcome.
Thank you

Chambers.
I have seen 2.
Easier for the beginner.
If buying a kit I would likely not even consider anything else.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Collector

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 10:06:58 PM »
I believe that our own Mr. Mike Brooks, also has 'kits.'   Another alternative is to find an 'In-The-White kit to finish.  I think Mike has them as well.  You also might find a 'deal' in the 'For Sale' section on his web site. 

Here's his link for you:      www.fowlingguns.com

Smoothbores ROCK!

Good Luck!

Michael

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »
You might want to take a look at Brad Emig's kits, they are first class all the way.
 Check out his website at CabinCreek.net

R.W.D.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 10:19:48 PM »
Make sure you get a high quality kit.  I've put together some cheap kits for people and to be honest I think a scratch build would have been easier.

coutios

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 11:16:56 PM »
  Sounds like your getting all the right info... Here's my .02cents.. Sounds like your a shooter.. Find out your LOP and drop needs.. Make sure you discuss them with the various suppliers to get something that will fit your shooting style.. Then spend those $$$$'s, have fun and keep us posted...

Regards
Dave

dbraw

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 11:46:37 PM »
There are several good kits available. I have built rilfles from most ot them. However, Tip Curtis in Cross Plains, TN has the best shaped and contoured stocks of all. He also has an amazing supply of barrels and preshaped stocks as well as everything you need. I think he has over 100 patterns. I'm building a Bucks county now. Tip is always at Friendship or see his ad in the classified section of Muzzle Blast.
Good luck
Dan B

Timberdog

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 12:22:56 AM »
WOW guys, thanks for all the info, never dreamed
I would get this much response!!  I will chew the fat
on this and research all the great info you guys
have giving me. Friendship is coming up soon
and hope to speak with some people up there.
I will also talk to some of the members in the club
on their opinions.  Will let you all know when
this thing gets started. Thanks a bunch

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 12:29:20 AM »
Timberdog,

I can't think of any club meeting I wouldn't skip in a heart beat to attend to CLA show.
But then, I do sorta hate meetings in general. ;D

Any way, unless you're the club president, or this is a club you're just trying to join, I'd give it some serious thought...  especially with the CLA practically in your backyard.

Lots of good kits out there, but I can vouch for Chambers first hand.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline acorn20

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 12:32:32 AM »
Hey Timberdog,
If you're from Louisville, Kentucky, why don't you scoot on over to the Comtemporary Longrifle Show in Lexington this Friday and Saturday.  Jim Chambers will most suredly be there as will alot of gunsmiths. It's held downtown at the convention center.
Dan Akers

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 12:47:34 AM »
I'd wager Jim and Wayne will both be there.  The question is will they have many kits to buy at the show.  I don't recall either bringing a lot of inventory like full kits in the past.  Maybe call them both and see if they are bringing any complete kits.  If they are and you're ready to buy the savings on shipping will pay your temporary membership fee to the show.  

I wouldn't miss the show regardless.  It's well worth going and seeing the beautiful work on display not to mention the originals that will be displayed.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:50:35 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Timberdog

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 01:23:25 AM »
When are the dates? I'm joing a club Saturday
we have orientation the day. Lex is just a skip of the
road from harrodsburg

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 02:53:31 AM »
The dates are Friday, 8/20, and Saturday, 8/21. The show closes at 3:00 pm Saturday.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 03:04:48 AM »
Chambers kits are good, but look closely at delivery times; 8 to 12 weeks are what they list on their website, if nothing goes wrong (think backorder here). Plan accordingly. Seems that barrels have been difficult to obtain lately.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 04:48:15 AM »
I have made 4 rifles( 2 from each) from those guys and never would have made # 2 if they were not any good.   Gary

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 03:53:46 PM »
I may be alone in my experience, but I doubt that I will ever buy another Chambers kit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:37:11 PM by frogwalking »
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

J.D.

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 09:12:24 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm, wrong, but I think the CLA show is open to around 8:00 Friday evening, so if you have the chance, it's worth the hour, or so, drive just to see it, even for a coupla hours.

You can view the "Building the Chambers Kit rifle" video by renting it from Smartflix,so's you will know what you are getting into.

Be aware that the videos leave out many of the fine details of building, so the books are a must, with the vids as a supplement to the books.

http://smartflix.com/store/video/214/Building-the-Jim-Chambers-Kit-Rifles

God bless