Author Topic: Indianapolis made rifle  (Read 10923 times)

Firelock

Indianapolis made rifle
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:22:10 AM »
I stopped at a local antique mall and found a rifle made in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Full stock, caplock, curly maple, 32 cal. I need to get in touch with Jeff Yagher, who is writting a book on Indiana gunsmiths, but i don't have his phone number or email. The rifle is stamped OH m (baker?) Ind'Polis, Warranted. If you know Jeff, tell him the guy with the W.Everson rifle from Indianapilis is trying to get ahold of him about this gun. Much of the provenance of the gun was spelled out by the seller.

Thanks,

-Kevin
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 06:05:40 AM by Firelock »

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Indianapolis made rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:36:07 PM »
Get pictures. I would love to see some "local" makers' work.
Psalms 144

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 04:28:00 AM »
I just bought a rifle made by CHS BECK Indianapolis, Ind. Any info on this builder would be appreciated. I will post some pictures in the morning.
Joel Hall

Firelock

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 06:03:23 AM »
I just bought a rifle made by CHS BECK Indianapolis, Ind. Any info on this builder would be appreciated. I will post some pictures in the morning.

The good folks at the antique mall got me a magnifying glass to look at the signature, but it had received a deep scratch to the signature. The signature on this gun could have read CHS Beck, but Indianapolis was spelled Ind'polis and Warranted was very distinct in the signature. They wanted $1, 350 for this gun. I believe in preserving
history, but thats a steep price for me. The wrist had been cracked too. Otherwise, this gun had everything that was right about it.

-Kevin

Steve-In

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:42:30 AM »
There is a Sam Beck rifle in the James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home in Greenfield In.  I offered to check it to see  ;D if it was loaded but they said no.  Just like most other percussion half stocks, nothing special.  I have seen several Sam Beck rifles and a double barrel shotgun with his name on it.  The double looked like an import.
Steve

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 04:04:37 PM »
The stamped name on the upper flat of this rifle is : CH? BECK IND'POLIS WARRANTED. I thought the third letter in the first name was an S, but I'm not sure. It is around a 35 cal. fullstock. http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq171/joelhall452/P1000094.jpg[/img]]  http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq171/joelhall452/P1000096.jpg[/img]] http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq171/joelhall452/P1000100.jpg[/img]]
Joel Hall

Firelock

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:01:54 PM »
Quote from: Captjoel
The stamped name on the upper flat of this rifle is : CH? BECK IND'POLIS WARRANTED. I thought the third letter in the first name was an S, but I'm not sure. It is around a 35 cal. fullstock.

This gun looks very similar to the one I found at the antique mall, but that one did not have a capbox.

Thank you all for your replies to this thread. I was able to get a hold of Jeff and he now knows about the antique mall gun and I also encouraged him to check out Americanlongrifles.com. He said the gunsmith's name was Christian Beck.

I did a search on Google for  Christian Beck and found this expired auction that also had a lot of information about Beck: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106747690

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 01:15:00 AM »
Thank you Firelock for the very interesting background information on C Beck. It is strangely coincidental how this rifle came across my path within a day of your first introductory post here on ALR. I welcome you to this awesome place of like minds!  These are pics of my first Indiana rifle, a J.S. Iddings signed fullstock in 32 cal. This one shoots straight and true! http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/Captjoel/Iddings19.jpg[/img]] [ftp][/ftp]
Joel Hall

caliber45

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 01:49:13 AM »
Hey, Kevin -- As a native Hoosier (now long-time Tucsonan), I, too, would be interested in a contact email/address for Jeff Yagher, since I'd like to know more about Indiana gunsmiths. Could you post the address here or send it direct to my email? eallen10@cox.net  Thanks much! - paul

Firelock

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
Hey, Kevin -- As a native Hoosier (now long-time Tucsonan), I, too, would be interested in a contact email/address for Jeff Yagher, since I'd like to know more about Indiana gunsmiths. Could you post the address here or send it direct to my email? eallen10@cox.net  Thanks much! - paul

I'll encourage him to try and post here himself. I only had his phone number and it would be bad manners to post it here in public with out his permission. I am happy to see some interest in Indiana gunsmiths. It's about time they got a little attention, considering NMLRA's roots Indiana.

Firelock

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 08:11:08 AM »
Not made in Indianapolis, but made in Indiana is this rifle by  W.Everson (William) It's hung over the fireplace in my childhood home for 50 years. My father bought it when muzzloading firearms were considered old fashioned junk, so I doubt he paid much for it

Wallace Gussler, at Friendship,  pointed out to me that the rear sight had had a piece of metal rivited to it to extend it's range. It never hurts to have an expert look at an old gun. I had never noticed it!

Beach front sight, probably added latter in the gun's life

Would like to see other W.Everson rifles....

-Firelock