Author Topic: scam..?  (Read 8433 times)

Offline elk killer

scam..?
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:32:42 PM »
since i logged on here yesterday,,i have recieved 3 emails from someone named David Ward partners,,wanting to pay double for a rifle i didnt advertise or even have..anyone else had this problem?..im Mark from the old board
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: scam..?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:29:31 PM »
Sounds pretty scammy or at the very least, spammy. Keep us posted, Mark.
I have not noticed any increase in junkmail since joining.

Anyone else?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

jim m

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:37:01 PM »
don't know how, but the spammers and scammers always seem to gather info from suposedly secure sites. it's rampant  and the best adivce is if it sounds fishy delete it.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:16:01 PM »
Don't know if it's related to this site or not... but I just got my first spam in months today.  "Mark Kane" selling a "God Given Chance" to buy chinese made goods (aka, total junk). 

Spammers and folks who write Viruses have a reserved space in the deepest firey levels of $#*!. 
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:49:06 AM »
I wonder, is there any way to change the way our email addresses appear on the profiles?  For instance, have them not appear as a link and have them show as "chickenlittle(at)thesky is falling".  We would know that the "(at)" means @, and would have to manually type the address of the person we are sending the email to, but the data miners that spammers use wouldn't recognize it as an email address. (At least not for a while. They'll come up with a program to do anything sooner or later. :(

Just a thought.

-Joe

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 04:17:19 AM »
I believe there is a way to show email addresses in such a way that an automated troller cannot pick them up off a message board. Dave Kanger ran a board with such email addresses.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »
I believe there is a way to show email addresses in such a way that an automated troller cannot pick them up off a message board. Dave Kanger ran a board with such email addresses.

Randy Hedden
If there is a way I sure would like to know how to do it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:17:35 PM »
If there is a way I sure would like to know how to do it.
Dennis
Sorry, Dennis
Can't help you.  All the available board software is different and only those with top level access or coding experience can find the fix.  Most of this software is "open source" meaning you can add or replace your own coding to solve your problem.

As the owner of a board, it behooves you to become familiar with all the references, FAQ's, and forums for the software you are using.  Very often, someone else has had the same problem you are having and have written a snippet of code that can be inserted into the program to modify it.

All these guys are assuming that their spam is coming from here, but it is only an assumption and not fact.  I forget if this board has a double blind registration system.  Current technology requires that a randomly generated picture containing letters and numbers be typed into a box and submitted.  If done properly, the registrant is then sent an email to his registered email address which contains a link to complete the registration process.  This requires a good address and a physical person to register.

I get a fair number of phony registrations, but they are never activated.  I check every day and if I find one, I first ban the email address and/or ISP, often by "wild card" and then delete the person.  It's pretty easy to tell who they are as most are from Soviet bloc countries.

Anyone can set up a board these days.  Acquiring the knowledge and spending the required time to run it properly is another matter. 
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
Current technology requires that a randomly generated picture containing letters and numbers be typed into a box and submitted.  If done properly, the registrant is then sent an email to his registered email address which contains a link to complete the registration process.  This requires a good address and a physical person to register.
Yes this is the way we are set up. I will be monitoring the pending registration list and will delete members that I don't know or have not corresponded with via email. This is mandatory in order to prevent automated sign-ups from becoming activated. At least this will insure you have a real body signing up and not a machine! This board is far more complex than the old one and far more labor intensive to manage. Hopefully it will calm down after the delunge of members signing in and people becoming more used to it.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 09:46:32 PM »
I will be monitoring the pending registration list and will delete members that I don't know or have not corresponded with via email.

Dennis,
I ran into a couple of anomalies with the double blind registration system.
1.  The AOL browser will not render the random screen, so the registrant can't enter the text contained in the picture.  Therefore, they are unable to register.  There are other browser which will also do this.

The work-around is to have the person sign on and then minimize the screen.  While remaining online, open the Microsoft browser and complete the registration process using it.

2.  A large number of people use free email like Yahoo, Gmail, etc.  When they register, the verification email is sent to them, but goes into their spam folder.  The user will insist that he never received it, but most just delete their spam rather than read it.

On the other hand, most of the spammers use redirected free accounts.  You have to read the person's address and try to intuit if it is a valid user or a spammer.  Then send the valid user a personal email to see if he responds to you.  When he does so, he will insist he never received the verification email and you will have to manually activate him.  Require a brief bio in your inquiry.

3.  Lastly, the software I use enables me to compare when the user registered with when he last visited the board.  If yours does so, it provides an effective way to remove dead wood from the server, thus saving resources.  Many people register, have a look around, and never return.  They also never bother to unsubscribe.  If I see a person hasn't logged in for 6 months, I delete them unless I am aware of extenuating circumstances.  Your huge membership roster usually only contains about 30% active members, with the rest being inactive.  If you dump them, they can always sign up again at a later date if they desire.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 11:04:13 PM »
TOF,
Thanks for the info. Some of it I have run into and some of it I didn't know. Bottom line is we are NOT going to let anyone be activated unless the email is verified and if it isn't done automatically we will contact them via email before one of us activates them. Hopefully that will keep spammers out.

Also, I hope we will be able to delete the inactive members to keep them from clogging up  the database. If they want back in they can go through the registration process again.
Dennis