Author Topic: ID James Bown and Son  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Feltwad

ID James Bown and Son
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:30:44 PM »
Any info on James Bown and Son , Pittisburg . PA
Feltwad
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 09:31:45 PM by Feltwad »

Offline T*O*F

Re: ID James Bown and Son
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »
They owned Enterprise Gun Works, a large importer, retail to the public, wholesale supplier to the gunsmith trade, and manufacturer of their own line of  "Kentucky Rifles."

I have a copy of their 1871 catalog.
What do you want to know?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:14:29 AM »
Thank you for the information I was interested because there is a rifle coming up for auction  where I live which is worth a bid.
Feltwad

Levy

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:09:04 PM »
I have a generic looking .32 cal. squirrel rifle (halfstock) with Enterprise Gun Works on the barrel.  It is perc. and has a curly maple stock with a round capbox.  It appears to have a reddish tinted finish on the stock (in the finish and not the wood).  The muzzle of the barrel is marked with the #160 denoting the number of the right size bullet that can be made from a pound of lead.  It has double lever set triggers.  The barrel is 36" in length.

James Levy

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:22:54 PM »
 As a matter of interest I  just missed this gun at auction last week ,it sold for £180 sterling which is $278.53  US. plus commission
Feltwad
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 02:26:06 PM by Feltwad »

Dave K

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 04:22:18 PM »
The old "family" gun is a James Bown and Son. It is a 34cal. 1/2 stock. The nose cap is brass and there is a round patch box on it. Like I mentioned at the begining, it has been in the family since new.