Author Topic: Aperture Rear Sights  (Read 7267 times)

Offline Chunker119

Aperture Rear Sights
« on: July 02, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »
What rear sights set-ups do most bench/target rifles have? I have a Redfield Olympic front sight and need ideas for a rear. Any help/info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
MM119
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

Offline Kermit

Re: Aperture Rear Sights
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:18:36 PM »
Just about whatever you want, I guess. Redfield, Lyman, Anschutz, etc. You can get some idea by visiting Buffalo Arms, Champions Choice, Champion Shooters Supply, and a bumch of others I expect. There are some high quality sights made by small shops. Are you looking for reciever or tang mount?

Sent a PM. Let me know if it doesn't come through--I've had some trouble...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:35:46 PM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 12:51:28 AM »
mountainman,
Kermit's right , there are a lot of very fine sights available, with prices from here to there. My preference is to match the front and rear sights, by maker. I like both the Anschutz and Redfields. My rears are usually mounted on extensions from the barrel so the front and rear are mounted on the same plane.
Mark
Mark

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 05:30:16 PM »
Good Morning Mountainman .
Some of the vintage Redfields need a special hard to find (or need- to- make ) adapter base for octagon barrels .These Redfields were designed to mount off the side of a modern bolt gun and originally required adapters depending on the reciever brand .
Luckily one of the other members here was able to help out when I needed to mount an Olympic Redfield on my target rifle .The base was an added expense and not off the shelf .Mine was made of machined aluminum found on traders row at Friendship .
Another suggestion was using piece of flat bar stock heating it up and giving it a 90 degree twist and making an adapter mount from that.

In retrospect ,some of the Anschutz peeps appear are less of a problem as they can be mounted on a flat surface and less complicated to mount .

These peeps need to be mounted so the aperture is well aft of the breechplug  My first attempt was not close enough to my shooting eye and requires a second go at it .A thick barrel is important for screw mounting .I filled in the holes with blind screws.

Maybe some of the ''any metallic sight'' target shooters can fill in with their experiences.
At the time I was looking to solve this problem I searched the database on this site and did not find any good discussion of this topic .
Regards Stuart

Offline rsells

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:35:09 PM »
Sinclair International, who was purchased by Brownells, is a good place to look.  I get all my centerfire bench rest equipment other than the rifle through them.  They do have a section dealing with aperture sights like I used when shooting over the course matches.  They deal with good quality world class equipment.
                                                                                      Roger Sells

Mr.Grendel

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:01:21 AM »
I have been using Lyman's 20MJT front sight (globe with changeable insert) and their 90MJT/57GPR (hybrid) rear with great results.  My main concern was finding or fabricating a base for attachment, the Lyman tang sight (57GPR) fit the bill.  Of course if you don't have a Hawken/Great Plains rifle style this may not work.  I can speak highly of their 90MJT which is a universal type receiver sight.  Both front and rear sights are well made, repeatable and best of all well priced.  They do lack the bells and whistles that the higher end sights have (numerous front sight inserts, lenses, filters, etc.)  but are able to use a Merrit diopter. 

Hope this helps!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:41:25 PM »
If you can use a Redfield on the front, perhaps you need a modern one for the rear.  I could sell my A.J. Parker rear sight with adjustable iris.  I also have several different front aperture sights with inserts that I probably won't be using again.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Chunker119

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »
If you can use a Redfield on the front, perhaps you need a modern one for the rear.  I could sell my A.J. Parker rear sight with adjustable iris.  I also have several different front aperture sights with inserts that I probably won't be using again.

Could you post a pic of your Parker, price, ect.....

Thanks
MM119
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 05:57:58 PM »

Could you post a pic of your Parker, price, ect.....

Thanks
MM119

you have mail
Daryl

Offline LH

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
Mr. Grendel,  did you just take the slide out of a 90mjt and put it in the 57gpr?  Made a good looking sight 8)

Mr.Grendel

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 03:00:43 AM »
LH,

Sure did!  Had the 90mjt laying around from an old target 22.

Mr.Grendel

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 06:03:01 AM »
Here is my old post
I have been using Lyman's 20MJT front sight (globe with changeable insert) and their 90MJT/57GPR (hybrid) rear with great results.  My main concern was finding or fabricating a base for attachment, the Lyman tang sight (57GPR) fit the bill.  Of course if you don't have a Hawken/Great Plains rifle style this may not work.  I can speak highly of their 90MJT which is a universal type receiver sight.  Both front and rear sights are well made, repeatable and best of all well priced.  They do lack the bells and whistles that the higher end sights have (numerous front sight inserts, lenses, filters, etc.)  but are able to use a Merrit diopter. 

Hope this helps!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 11:44:20 PM »

Daryl