Author Topic: How do you carry a flintlock pistol?  (Read 9935 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
How do you carry a flintlock pistol?
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »
A side from using a belt hook, how did peoaple carry/wear a flint pistols. I can't recall seeing any belt holsters.

Best regards
Rolfkt

Offline Majorjoel

Re: How do you carry a flintlock pistol?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:44:38 AM »
Depending on the type of pistol, some were holstered across a horses saddle. AKA horse pistol. Some were just cased and carried along with other gear in trunks when traveling.
Joel Hall

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:54:50 AM »
and pockets

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 01:23:46 AM »
I have a simple sling on mine and it carries upside down on my side.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 05:18:17 AM »
Shovelbuck, by upside down do you mean that the muzzle of the barrel is pointing up?  If so this is a funeral waiting to happen.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 05:04:14 PM »
No, it's not pointing at me.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 06:45:29 PM »
Bel holsters are a much later development... well into the percussion period. Pistols were carried in saddle holsters and mostly in pockets... the heavy caped cloaks and "greatcoats" that were popular in the 18th century may have had pockets or something  much like holsters, sewn into them but I've never seen one and am relying on period references. In Great British Gunmakers, Keith Neal illustrates a fantastic pair of pocket pistols that was literally found in the pocket of a coachman's greatcoat by an old London tailoring firm when they were putting together a display of "old time" cloathing.

Belt hooks were also used but I doubt that many were carried stuck into a belt or sash unless it was an emergency. If carrying pistols in or on a belt were common we would see a lot more of them with belt hooks.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
Does the term "Bag Handled" pistol have any relevance here??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Collector

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 10:40:46 PM »
A recent History Channel program revolved around the marine archeology of the pirate ship Wydah and artifacts recovered from the site, amongst which were long strips of silk cloth, that were all of a particular length.  Researchers determined that the pirates tied the ends of these silk strips to individual pistols, which were then slung around their necks, allowing them to carry multiple sets/braces of pistols and have them at their sides and at arms length for quick access during raids and vessel boardings.  Simple, effective, repeatable and replaceable.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 01:59:29 AM »
Tim, this is what I believe is meant by a "bag butt" pistol.  The pistol butt looks like a shot filled "sap" or billy.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:00:35 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 02:52:45 AM »
I have seen pictures of pirates with a wide cross belt with loops sewn on that pistols are placed throug to allow four or five to be carried at one time, easily accessible. I think it was a picture of black beard and the ends of his beard pates burned slow match. So is that fictional or real Who knows but it seem it could be real enough.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Artificer

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 09:20:58 PM »
I am not sure of the relative cost of a pistol to a long rifle was in the 18th century.  I'm sure they weren't cheap.  I think the cost alone kept them out of the hands of only those who really needed them or were rich enough to afford them.  I can see people in established towns or cities having one for home defense if they were rich enough.

Infantry Officers tended to thrust them in their sash or sword belts but then had the pistol and sword in their hand when action was close at hand.  I suspect some civilians wore them that way only when they thought action was imminent.  Even with a belt hook, a pistol can become dislodged rather easily.

What has always surprised me a bit was the calibers of many civilian pistols.  One would think that having a rifle and pistol that used the same ball size would be important to those who needed a pistol and yet most pistols seem to be smaller bore than many rifles.  

Oh, many of the small flintlock/percussion inline pocket pistols were noted as having "bag handles" as well.

Gus
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:21:57 PM by Artificer »

Offline whitebear

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 05:34:46 AM »
Shovelbuck, I didn't think about it being carried in that manner all that I could imagine was with the muzzle sticking up.  I didn't intend any offence by my comment.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 06:18:25 AM »
None taken ;)