Author Topic: thinking about puttin a sling on long rifle  (Read 7901 times)

ERH

thinking about puttin a sling on long rifle
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »
and body have any do and  don't on installing a sling

Offline smylee grouch

Re: thinking about puttin a sling on long rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:08:51 AM »
Make shure that your forward sling pivots onto a ramrod thimble so as not to obstruct ramrod and if you place one on the triggergaurd boss make shure the triggergaurd is up to the task, secure enough.    Look on TOTW web site, flintlock rifles and there was one on page 3 that might give you some ideas.    Gary

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
ERH,
Make sure the forward sling cross screw goes through a under lug installed for that purpose. One fall with a pined sling swivel just through wood will remove a portion of your fore-stock at worst and badly crack it at best.  Most of the Jaeger rifles I have seen have a under lug that the screw passes through to be secure at the fore end. I have seen several late English muskets that were also secured through a stud on the barrel as well
Dave Blaisdell

ERH

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 01:55:12 AM »
Thanks guys for the info. I will keep it in mind

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 02:09:02 AM »
Leatherman sells a pretty good sling that, although temporay, is a good design, looks period and doesn't require any alterations to the rifle.

g rummell

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 03:41:45 AM »
Here's one I fashioned for my hunting rifle. I used a piece of vegtable tanned leather, a wood screw silver soldered to a piece of brass for the rear button, and a brass screw rivet to secure the sling around the barrel. Works great.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 04:21:36 AM »
I put sling attachments on two of my flintlocks; my .50 cal and my .62 smooth rifle. The sling does come in handy at times, but mine spend a lot of time in my pouch, since I've found that they have a nasty habit of getting caught up on things at the worst time when out in the woods. I use them more for the walk out, hopefully with game in tow or in the bag, then for the actual hunt.
When in the tag alders after moose, I don't want a sling .
Lately , since I've mainly been carrying my NE Fowler, { no sling } I've taken to putting a woven strap with leather ties on the end, in my bag or pocket. It's there if I need it, but not in the way. I like it.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 05:09:02 AM »
Bob Miller!
I have been mystified about slings on original longrifles. You see plenty of guards with a swivel hole at the front post of the trigger bow, but no sign of a swivel mounted up the barrel.

The slings were just used for the carry out! That makes the most sense of anything I have come across so far.

Anyway, for a long gun, the rear attachment at the guard is much more comfortable than the lower buttstock mount. The gun gets carried buttstock up, muzzle down. With the swivel on the lower buttstock, the guard will be digging you in the back. Opinion.

Tom
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 05:09:59 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 07:20:48 AM »
Exactly. Swivel on the guard.  Carried butt up. Works for me.

Birddog6

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 01:36:15 PM »
I have had them both ways, secured at the buttstock & secured at the t/guard & find them both uncomfortable to use. I just don't like the rifle on a sling on my shoulder. When I do use one, I prefer
the one anchored at the buttstock, as I am always afraid the one anchored at the t/guard is going to
pull on the guard & eventually work it sloppy in the inlet. After all, the only thing holding it on the front
where the stress is, is one lil 1/16" pin.  I feel it has more outward stress than against the lug seat.
Maybe it won't, but I know a 1/4" screw threaded 1" into the buttstocks is much more secure.  As far as
the buttstock anchor digging into your back, it doesn't, or mine doesn't anyway.  

When I drag a deer I use a drag harness I can pull straight.  My hands are empty, so even if it has
a sling I usually have the rifle in my hand & the drag harness on my shoulders & chest.  So basically
I would use it to carry in & back out if I didn't get anything, and then only if it is a long walk.

Keith Lisle
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:48:33 PM by Birddog6 »

g rummell

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 03:50:15 PM »
Same here Keith, I've had them both ways and I think they are both a pain in the rear not to mention that they take away from the sleek clean lines of these rifles. I have one on my barn gun but again the only time I actually use it is when I'm lucky enough to harvest an animal and I'm on my way out of the woods.
Otherwise the rest of my rifles do not and will not have slings unless the customer would request one. JMO.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:51:12 PM by G. Rummell »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 04:53:13 PM »
I have one that slips on the butt and around the barrel and forestock that I carry in my haversack.  If I find myself in a situation where I need my hand free I can pullit out and use it..seldom....
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline BJH

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
I have a sling attached to my Short English rifle. It is attached to a lug dovetailed into the barrel and a button in the butt stock. It works just nicely, but as a improvement I may change the leather sling to a woven fabric one when I get around  to it. It is really handy when I need two hands to climb up some of the steep terrain we have around here, as well as when it's time to drag a deer out.  BJH
BJH

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 02:21:12 AM »
ERH;  I hunt with a longrifle and occasionally with an original Brown Bess circa; 1810 model.  Anyway the longrifle does not have a sling on and often I wish it had!   I made a leather sling for the Bess which anchors at the front of trigger guard bow and towards the muzzle on the forstock.  The forward swivel is mounted with the screw going through a lug which is in turn attached to the under side of the barrel and is associated with the front RR thimble.     This what I recommend.    I can carry it in either position - butt up or down it is just as comfortable.        Hope this helps,    HT
H.T.

Black Hand

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 05:06:19 PM »
My sling is more "indian style", woven strap with ties on each end.  The front ties around the barrel/forestock/ramrod pipe while the rear ties to the trigger-guard.  The ties are thin brain-tan which do not interfere with sighting.....