Author Topic: Heffley Creek Rondy  (Read 6322 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Heffley Creek Rondy
« on: September 29, 2010, 02:17:25 AM »
Haven't read any posts about how that Rondy and the shootin matches turned out!

Every one is keen on finding out how the turn out was, how many shooters, weather, types of shooting matches, so I'll ask since I have no 'vested' interest.

Oh yes, who took home the 'bacon' ???

Seems like the boys and girls up there love those doins.

doug

Re: Heffley Creek Rondy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:28:33 AM »
Haven't read any posts about how that Rondy and the shootin matches turned out!

Every one is keen on finding out how the turn out was, how many shooters, weather, types of shooting matches, so I'll ask since I have no 'vested' interest.

there are a number of photos posted on a thread started by Harnic on page 3.  Rondy turned out well; started cool and windy plus some rain.  The campfire ban was lifted on the Tuesday and the weather improved through the week although most nights it was fairly cool.  Had a real frog choking gulley washer for about 45 minutes on the last Saturday then turned nice the final Sunday. 
     There were 131 camps total of which about 40 or just under were primitive.  People from Washington, Idaho, Saskatchewan, Alberta and of course BC
     Lots of different shoots so lots of winners; Taylor did very well and was frequently in the winning circle. 

Cheers Doug

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:09:15 PM »
Yup - 'bout sums it up, Doug.

Tuesday night, the boys from Fort McMurray, Alta, put on a 'shooter' bar after the council fire meeting. $1.00 a shot - prime times afoot.  Friday night is the dance after the Rodny meeting of all shoot organizers.

Usually 2 different shoots a day, usually trails with gong targets, some novelty shoots, like the veggie shoot - those string beans blwing in the breeze are not easy - sure smells great along that trail, though- burst onions do smell good - for onion lovers, that is - potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, you name it, it was there - normal veggies for BC, that is.(I think I about named them all)  Had a few steel targets now and then- total 20 shots on most trails - gun so clean, barely needed cleaning - re-use the water from the cleaning bucket for boiling spuds. ;D

Only the 2 paper targets - Alberta BP Assoc. puts on a 25, 50 and 75yard match- squirrel 10 ring, fox 10 ring and buffalo 10 ring targets. Taylor won that.  Chunk shoot at 50 yards - Taylor won that with a 9.2" string - second place was 11.8 something" - third place was 11.8"something pluss .001".  Second place was a parapelegic shooter in a chair - he used a set of cross sticks. Imagine, some guys complained he had an unfair advantage - HA!  Bet they wouldn't want to trade places. Imagine, laying down, shooting over a veritable bench, and think sticks are an advantage, with no elbow rests. HA!  Interesting thing about the chunk shoot was many didn't compete because they had never shot chunk before & it sounded too complicated - oh well- promised a bette turnout next year. Prizes were chunk rests - finished and curly maple fo first, unfinished plain maple for second and third.
This was suposed to be for first place smoothbore, but no one sowed up for that class.  A single entry with a VERY long string would have won. It's mine, now.

Great time was had by all, I think. 

Leatherbelly

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 11:46:31 PM »
 I got numerous fourths and fifth's. One third,smoothbore paper,the Alberta shoot. Need to practice the notorious "tiebreaker", what most of my "fourths" were lost too. Lots of fun was had there,as per usual.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
Interesting to read how it 'goes' in the great Northwest.   Too bad its so darn far away, (and Oh to be 78 again! ::) 

When those other shooters see how much fun the chunk game can be they'l dive in also and find the water is just fine!!

Okay I must ask -- How many Rondys do you folks attend in 1 year, without traveling to the land's end that is?

Harnic

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 03:07:03 AM »

Okay I must ask -- How many Rondys do you folks attend in 1 year, without traveling to the land's end that is?

Just 1 a year for me Roger, the Heffley Creek Rondy.  Never seems to be enough time or money for more.  Heffley Creek is my annual vacation.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 05:36:26 AM »
We're hoping Harry stays longer than a day or two, one of these years. ;)

I only attend 2 a year- our local rendezvous and the one at the Heffley Creek range.

Harnic

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »
We're hoping Harry stays longer than a day or two, one of these years. ;)

Me too my friend, me too! :D

doug

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 10:50:42 PM »
     I attend 3 long weekend ones per year plus Heffley (9 days).  Heffley is the only distant one at roughly 5 hours plus a ferry.  The others are about 1 1/2 hours away.  Also 3 small fun shoots before and after the summer season.  I have been to Fort MacMurray two or three times and hope to make it again next year --- it conflicts with my home club rondy.  Fort Mac is 19 hours plus the 2 hour ferry for me and lasts 6 days

cheers Doug

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:00:06 AM »
There are dozens of weekend shoots within a day's drive happening throughout the year.  At one time, I attended most of them, but now, like Daryl, I attend our local rendezvus on the long July weekend - four days this next year - and the BC Rendezvvous that occurs at Heffley Creek BC.  But I don't sit at home and pout!  I also attend three or four 3D Archery matches every year too, within a days drive of home. 
Got to keep that longbow well exercised.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 10:52:16 PM »
Although I was only there for a brief period, and took no pics, I received these thru a common mailing list today. I beleive the intent was to share, many thx to Dan Kelly for some great pictures and for sharing them..  Kerry

Hello all.

My name is Dan and I took some photos while I was at the 2010 Heffley Creek  Rendezvous and would like to share them with you.

I would like to thank you all for allowing me to take your photos.

If you got time to view 122 photos, go here: 
http://picasaweb.google.com/D.Kelly4of4/2010HeffleyCreekRendezvous#

If not, I got an album with only 22 photos. Kind of a ‘Top Picks’ album.
http://picasaweb.google.com/D.Kelly4of4/2010TopPicksFromHeffleyCreekRendezvous#

Take care and I’ll see you at the next Rendezvous.

Dan Kelly

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
Cool! - there's Hatchet Jack, Leatherbelly, & me, with Crispy in the back-ground. I was shooting the double barreled .58 that day.  Hatchet Jack is shooting one of his 20 bores while Crispy is shooting his .54 smoothie, and Leatherbelly, his new .50.

This is the bow I bought. 65 pound draw and 73" between the nocks - 75" long.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 05:26:00 PM by Daryl »

Al Lapp

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 07:57:26 PM »
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.   Al