Author Topic: RCA Books: I have to ask  (Read 12374 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: RCA Books: I have to ask
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »
The RCA set should be fine. The Shumway Jaeger book and the Series of MuzzleBlast articles are photocopies out of the MB magazine, rather than using the original photos. The images run from mediocre to quite poor. But the information is invaluable, and where else will you find stuff like this? Yes, the quality could be better, but the books are definitely worth having in your reference library.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Brent

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 08:42:31 AM »
I know the volumes are labeled Rifles of Colonial America but do they really only cover rifles in the colonial era or can they be used as references for later rifles up into the early 19th century?

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
Brent - I would say, yes.

Some of the rifles shown probably date as late as the 1790s.  But more imporatantly, the dimensions are very helpful when building  - even a bit later longrifle - as it helps you know you are within reasonable bounds on the proportions of various areas.  

If I were starting from scratch getting references together for building a first longrifle of the pre-1800 period I would start with RCA, and then one of most basic books out there  with regard to building instruction.  For me, these are the Chuck Dixon book (which I think sells for about $25) or Jim Johnston's "Building the Kentucky Rifle" (sells for $10).  These books have good drawings and do a complete job of showing the basic layout, techniques and order of assembly.  Especially if you are building from a kit or precarve, it's helpful for a first time builder to keep it simple and have brief text with a clear progression  of steps emphasizing the fundamentals.  Beyond that - you get into decoration, finishes, customizing, and a lot of information on these steps can be found here in the archives or ask various builders - most are happy to help you out.

Guy
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:55:52 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »
Well, I have macular degeneration in one eye and the photos in RCA 1 & 2 still look doggone good to me.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 06:51:20 PM »
I know the volumes are labeled Rifles of Colonial America but do they really only cover rifles in the colonial era or can they be used as references for later rifles up into the early 19th century?
The "gold standard" for later rifles of the early 19th century would be Thoughts of the Kentucky Rifle In Its Golden Age by Joe Kindig.
I'd follow that purchase with the KRA books and CDs of really good pictures.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com