Author Topic: Images of Verner-style Longrifle Needed  (Read 9875 times)

Mattole

Images of Verner-style Longrifle Needed
« on: October 28, 2010, 06:15:19 AM »
Later this fall I will be starting a build of an A. Verner longrifle from a Pecatonica River parts kit. Where can I find some images of historical and/or modern made Verner-style rifles? If you have images of any you have built please post them! Thank you.

Mattole

Re: Images of Verner-style Longrifle Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the information, Daniel. I did not realize it would be such a complex first project, and Dick didn't seem to think so when I had spoken with him about it. What would you suggest as a first rifle build? I was also thinking of the Virginia rifle from Pecatonica - would that be simpler for a beginner to tackle?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:36:40 PM »
I can see why you'd want to start with a Verner.... the Verners inspire serious gun-lust, similar to the feeling I get with the Jacob Kuntz guns, or a good Rupp.

It's sage advice to get your feet wet on a simpler project. Not to say you shouldn't set your sights higher than your ability, because your abilities will grow with experience. However, if you set your self a project that is too complex, you can crash and burn, never to return. So you must take stock of your abilities, both as an artist and a mechanic, and see if you are up for a certain project. Part of this is how many guns have you built, do you have access to some originals to work from?

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »
Mattole, Even without adornment, the cool, clean lines of Vener's Bucks county gun's are grace in wood and metal's. Good luck!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Mattole

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »
I can see why you'd want to start with a Verner.... the Verners inspire serious gun-lust, similar to the feeling I get with the Jacob Kuntz guns, or a good Rupp.

It's sage advice to get your feet wet on a simpler project. Not to say you shouldn't set your sights higher than your ability, because your abilities will grow with experience. However, if you set your self a project that is too complex, you can crash and burn, never to return. So you must take stock of your abilities, both as an artist and a mechanic, and see if you are up for a certain project. Part of this is how many guns have you built, do you have access to some originals to work from?

Tom

Hello Tom,
I don't have access to any originals to work from, as I live in a remote corner of the west coast.. And this will be my first build.

Mattole

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:04:18 PM »
Eric,

I am finding that part of my enjoyment so far - and obviously I have not touched chisel to wood yet - is the research I am doing around longrifle history and building. My interest is most keen!

Now, onward to find a suitable first time build for me..

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 02:06:36 AM »
Unless, you are already experienced in carving and engraving stay away fron the fancies for your first plunge into the pool.  You have plenty of time assuming you are not of the age as some of us.

Go for a straight butted southern Mt rifle ( as in Lancastershape!!)  Iron/steel mounted so no need for engraving.  REmember they were the workhorses in their day and there are many builders and shooters leaning towards them now.  I would also suggest a kit for your first shot at this.  There is a good ol boy on this site Dennis Glazener that handles just the ticket for you.  Look him up.  Copy of an original Gillespie. :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:10:16 AM by Roger Fisher »

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »
Daniel Russell....thanks for posting a Shuler LR...it seems he and some unknown maker are my 2 favorites. Although the oft shown Verner is elaborately carved and engraved, the straight combline and pointed Bplate heel aren't as appealing to me as the curved combline and curved shape of the Bplate heel on most Bucks County LRs? Of course, I've not seen an extensive amount of photos of Verner's work. Thanks again.....Fred

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 07:02:32 PM »
Golden Age Arms used to sell a pretty nice Verner style pre-inlet stock that had correct hardware IIRC.  I am not sure if Jim Johnston had Bob Lepley pattern it off of the original that hung in his store, but he probably did....anyway, it was about the best of the "Verner" patterns out there in my opinion, but I am not sure if it is available anymore since Golden Age closed up shop a few years ago.

You might want to check with Bob Lepley if you do decide to build a Verner style rifle someday and want to go with a pre-carve.  Perhaps he might run one for you(?). 

Guy

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 07:24:31 PM »
Back in the '80s I built a Verner rifle patterned from the fancy one in RCA 1, and the hardware I purchased was an excellent copy.  Recently, I have been assembling parts to make another one, but those parts are no longer offered for sale.  Consequently, I have purchased castings that are thick and oversized, so that I can shape and file them to the dimensions that will give me a very close set of furniture.
The butt plate that TOW sells, is great except that the butt plate return is too short.  Likewise, the fore and aft extensions of the trigger guard are cut short as well.  When you are going for the whole picture, I find you have to make your own furniture....or settle for mediocrity.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »

Here's some photos of one I built several years ago.  It was built from an old Golden Age Arms kit.  Wish I had kept it.

In His grip,

Dane

Mattole

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 04:39:16 AM »
Holy Moly smallpatch - that is a beauty!

I believe I am going to try a less ambitious piece of work for my first build, like an Jim Chambers Isaac Haines kit - but building a Verner is definitely something I would like to aspire to in the future!!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 04:59:00 AM »
The Chambers kit you talk about is a good starter as you get great parts with proper stock lines and alot of past experence from this fourm on Lancaster guns.   Good luck to you.    Gary

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 07:46:04 AM »
I second gary's suggestion.  The straight lines of the Early Lancaster, make a great shooting, handling gun.  AND much more user friendly to the first time builder.  I've built at least a dozen.  Make for a beautiful, authentic, great shooting, handling gun.  For hunting, I'd suggest the Isaac Haines, 38" barrel, in .54 cal.
In His grip,

Dane

Mattole

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »
Hello Dane,

I saw your post elsewhere - thanks for weighing in here as well. Do you have any images of the Haines that you built from the Chambers kits available that you are willing to share?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 07:41:46 PM »
Mattole,

I don't want to steal this thread, or take it too far away, so I will post only one or two.  If you'd like, I can email more.

In His grip,

Dane

Mattole

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 08:04:01 PM »
Smallpatch, I would love to see more - these are very inspiring! My email address is kevin@lostcoaststudio.com. Many thanks.

Kevin