Author Topic: 2F or 3F Black Powder for .54?  (Read 25143 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: 2F or 3F Black Powder for .54?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »
Just as an aside, I'm having a rifle built with a Rice round groove barrel.  I know they are easier to clean but do they, in general, load/seat more easily that normal square cut bores?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline rick landes

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 11:30:50 PM »
This is based just on what I have seen and cannot prove it but here goes...I see that the Rice barrel shoots more accurately with a slightly wetter patch than a square cut rifled barrel. I mic a patch for each rifle to see what works best, weigh the balls after casting, etc. A slightly damp patch will not shoot as well as a moister one from a Rice barrel.
I know this sounds like a bunch of unquantifiable crud. All I can say it has been my experience. I am not saying that one design is more accurate, just that a Rice barrel (or better put) those I have shot are better with a moister patch.
I put my M/M on the patch in a 1/4 (est) line from corner to corner and then squeeze the excess out, rolling the patch in my fingers.
I tend to shoot a very dry patch compared to some. I do not like greased up patches for the most part...seems to just add to fouling.

By the main I use 3F in my .54's.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 11:38:55 PM »
My patches tend to be of the wet variety in all my guns.  Hoppes, being a liquid, soaks my patches good though they are not dripping.  I've never liked "dry" patching and seating was harder with it.  I can't wait to have that rifle in hand.  Hoping to have it ready by next deer season.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 02:05:36 AM »
    Well Mattole, how confused are you now? ;D  I always used 3F, 85gr., but these guys have me thinking now. ???    Good Luck    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Mattole

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 04:37:11 AM »
Ha - it's like herding cats! The main point I am getting from this discussion is to try both 2f and 3f and various patch thicknesses until I arrive at the best combo for my particular gun.

Goody, I get to shoot a lot!

BrownBear

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 07:06:20 AM »
The main point I am getting from this discussion is to try both 2f and 3f and various patch thicknesses until I arrive at the best combo for my particular gun.

There ya go.  Enjoy!

Flinter

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 02:29:22 PM »
Well AL, I’m probably the reason for causing the confusion by bringing up the patch subject, and I know this is against the law.
With my Rice barrel, I can tell a 100% difference between loading a pre lubed dry patch and a semi wet patch dipped in Hoppes patch lube.

More shooting to come later using the 3f powder.

Mike

Leatherbelly

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 04:06:19 AM »
 I got this little quote from Don Getz by the late great Lynton MacKenzie.
2f is for rifles,
3f is for pistols.

BrownBear

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 05:56:25 AM »
I got this little quote from Don Getz by the late great Lynton MacKenzie.
2f is for rifles,
3f is for pistols.

Unless they decide differently!   ;D

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 06:46:32 AM »
It's simple, ya just find the sweet spot, the right combo of powder, patch and ball, for "You and your Gun", that's the fun and frustrating part.  All part of the addiction. ;D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

omark

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2010, 08:15:44 AM »
most of the guys i have shot with that used 54s used 3f and the vast majority of our shooting has been done with G O due to availability.   fwiw    mark

Daryl

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2010, 07:41:34 PM »
I've proven to my own satisfaction that all rifle barrels from at least as small as .36 calibre and larger to .69 will have a sweet spot for both 3F and 2F. In the larger calibers, 3F has lost out in the velocity game prior to 2F, meaning 2F will maintain accuracy to a higher velocity than will 3F - in calibres larger than .45, but not including .45.

Bear in mind, my criteria might be different that yours. I absolutely refuse to have to wipe the bore while I'm shooting and that goes for hunting as well.  This means I will not use a combination that causes fouling to accumulate. 

Thus, 2F has given me better hunting ballistics in calibers .50 and larger, whereas, both 3f and 2F are identical in speed below that calibre at 'best' accuracy.  This means higher velocity, which means flatter trajectory.  I did not say the powder charges are the same - they are not the same in any calibre - can't be. I will also state emphatically, neither fouls the bore with any charge used in developing the above personal stats.

Another 'fact' I've discovered, that due to it's development of producing higher and 'quicker' pressure, patches used with 3F must be more substancial than patches used with 2F - this does not to mean you can get away with panty material, just that as pressures rise, 3f puts more strain on the patch than-does 2F.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
I do not want to have to wipe the bore during hunting or casual shooting either, Daryl.  I use (almost) exclusively 3f for all applications though I must say that 90% of my shooting is with .45 and under.  I've been working with 2f in my .62 fowler but use 3f in it as well.  So far the secret (for my guns) is the right lube and snug, but not real tight, loads.  I do plan testing 2f & 3f side by side in the fowler when hunting season is over and may do the same for a (hopefully) soon to be acquired .54.  I have a .50 flint that loves 60grns 3f and I doubt - in this rifle - 2f will show much in the way of improvement.  Each barrel is indeed an individual.