Author Topic: pics of buttplate  (Read 5822 times)

lew wetzel

pics of buttplate
« on: June 27, 2008, 02:27:50 AM »
here are some pics of the handmade buttplate i did.pics are easier to post here compared to other site..

Offline M Tornichio

Re: pics of buttplate
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:58:18 AM »
Lew,
This is a good attempt. I think that you may find that the but plate as made might give you some fits when you shoot the rifle for the first time. It is rather flat. There is a video tape from american pioneer that shows Frank house making a butt plate that is of a similar era to the one you are trying to make. He makes it out of 1 piece of sheet. You really could make one similar with just a hammer and a chunk of wood. No swage block would be necessary. When you make one using the same method as Frank House you will find that there will be a subtle profile that is not flat. I think that you may find that it will fit your shoulder better and maybe even look closer to the originals. I think I remember you saying that you will be at the gunbuilding classes at the log cabin shop. They may have the video there. I hope to be there tomorrow. I can help you find the right one if you are interested. I am not trying to be negative about your attempt. I have some real problems soldering and I don't think I could get as good of a joint as you have done. I just wanted to help you be a little closer to the originals if you are interested in that.
Later,
Marc

lew wetzel

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 01:19:34 AM »
marc,i actully like it flat.no i wont be at the class tommorrow i have to work..first one i have to miss..really bummed out too.i have looked at all the videos at the log cabin.do you live close.we are having a builders guild starting up after the fourth of july weekend.so far there is 6 of us.thanks for comments and appreciate any advice...

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 02:33:11 AM »
I've made them from one piece of brass, bending, swaging it out etc. I used a piece of maple, scooped out, to finish it off. The edges are thinned, and the heel is filled with lead. Works for me. I finish the shaping with a file. I usually start with 1/8th brass sheet, and anneal often. I first saw one on Eric Kettenburg's old web site. He showed a number of photos and the lead filled heel. Since it is forged cold, I thought it would be good practice before trying to hot forge an iron one. I really like the look of a swaged brass buttplate.

lew wetzel

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 02:43:08 AM »
i tottally screwed up my buttplate today.went to drill and countersink the screw hole in the extension and my bit walked.AAAHHHHH.i marked off the center line and measured where i wanted the hole.center punched it and started with a .125" drill bit and it walked.once the pilot hole was off i fiqured i might try to compensate with a larger bit and get the hole centered and it didnt work out.the trials and tribulations of gun building.my little drill press is a real piece of %$#@.fiqured since i had to work and couldnt make it to the gun builders class in lodi today i would work on the new gun and after that happened i just turned off the light and left the shop.i am soooooo disgusted....

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 04:08:38 AM »
Hey,

Turn the buttplate over, measure and mark and then drill it from the underside. Next time buy some small center drills that drill a shalow hole and a chamfer for the large drills to follow. The center drill will not usually run off because they are shirt and rigid.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 04:42:21 AM »
Man that really sucks. I have had those days. you probably did the best thing though by turning off the lights and just leaving the shop. Some times that is the best thing to do, before something else goes wrong.

Where is the gun builders guild going to meet. I am interested in the guild, but I really not able to make the trip up to the log cabin shop or in that general area more than once a month. I am on a pretty strick budget right now and gas prices are not helping at all.