Author Topic: Shot new trail today  (Read 5916 times)

Al Lapp

Shot new trail today
« on: November 12, 2010, 12:34:59 AM »
Finally got finale approval on our trail today, so I went out with a couple of hardy friends and shot it. (pouring rain and all) It was sure dark in the bush, could hardly see the targets let alone the sights. But it was sure an eye opener. My flintlock performed flawlessly. Can't say the same for myself, I didn't shoot very well. But I blame that on the weather as I shot a little better than the other two. My first experience with a flintlock with a decent lock (large siler). I have to say I am very impressed. Hopefully we will get some better weather on sunday for our regular shoot. Yes I ended up getting soaking wet but it was worth it.     Al

ken

Re: Shot new trail today
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 02:47:17 AM »
Sounds like you had fun any way! Glad to hear all is aproved, let us know how the turn-out goes. GOOD LUCK

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 07:31:45 AM »
Al, may I ask, where is your new club?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Al Lapp

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:10:20 AM »
Taylor;
   Our club is in courtenay on Vancouver Island. Situated on Comox Lake. We Have a web site it is,  www.courtenayfishandgame.org     We have hosted the longbow safari in the past so it is possible that you may have been here. I shoot longbow myself and had the pleasure of being a guide at 100 mile last year. I didn't get to the one this year as I usually go with my son and he is in the navy and was down in the states on a course. I am hoping I might make it to Hefley next year, but I have to get shooting my flinter more and get rid of that flinch.     Al

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »
Congrats on the new range, Al. Looking forward to seeing you at Heffley next year - and the rest of you Blokes as well. The more the merrier.
Is your range the site of the 1993 Longbow Safari - near Sooke?  Taylor, Tracy and I attended that one. Tracy, bless her heart, beat 515 archers that weekend, out of a total of 520. To say we were proud, well, doesn't even come close.

Al Lapp

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 06:46:03 PM »
Daryl;
  Congratulations to tracy, that's some pretty good shooting. We are situated approx. 170 miles north of Sooke. If you click on the link that I sent Taylor it will take you to our site. We hosted the longbow safari in 2001 and also 2005. I haven't heard where it will be next year.    Al

Al Lapp

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 12:06:22 AM »
Ken;
  The shoot went pretty well considering the weather and time of year. We had 8 shooters but only 5 shot at the small clay at 100 yds. ( some of these guys just don't like parting with their money) Anyway no one hit it this time so the pot will be a little better for next month. Only 4 of us could stick around to shoot the trail and the only criticism I got was the color, I painted them red and they don't show up to well in the bush so next dry day I will paint them white. The nice thing about the trail, no other activity interferes with it, so we can shoot at any time. Also the club was hosting an archery shoot so I lost a couple of my regulars to that.   Al

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »
We usually use Flourescent orange for the targets. They get painted before our rondy in June, then again before winter, then for the rondy - etc. By spring, they're mostly grey lead splash, but still show up fairly well against the white background of winter.

Al Lapp

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 11:30:32 PM »
Daryl;
  Thanks for the input, I never thought of the white tartget against the white snow. I will look for some florescent orange. You just saved me some paint.   Al

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 08:59:03 PM »
...log or tree marking paint!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:10:03 PM by Daryl »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Al Lapp

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 08:39:49 PM »
Taylor;
  The paint that I used was called Rust-Oleum a metal paint. Either because of the cold, poor nozzle the paint didn't spray very well. Got more on the can, ground and me than the target. Will probably try some log marking paint next time. At least the targets are easy to see now.  Al

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25:11 PM »
Even though it's not recommended, our paint has spent a winter in the BP club-house- ie: down to -40, yet it works OK. perhaps ther are more solvents int he tree paint?  It does have to be well-shaken, as most.

doug

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 11:24:39 PM »
Taylor;
  The paint that I used was called Rust-Oleum a metal paint. Either because of the cold, poor nozzle the paint didn't spray very well. Got more on the can, ground and me than the target. Will probably try some log marking paint next time. At least the targets are easy to see now.  Al

We use road marking paint down here in the banana belt.  Seems to stand up reasonably well and is cheaper than Logger's High Viz

cheers Doug