Author Topic: Checking thickness of the web when drilling ramrod  (Read 3336 times)

Bioprof

Checking thickness of the web when drilling ramrod
« on: November 14, 2010, 05:04:09 AM »
I've been reading some of the old posts about checking the thickness of the web by drilling 1/16" holes in the bottom of the barrel channel when drilling the ramrod hole.   Because the thickness of the web varies below the middle of a swamped barrel, how do you know if the web is the correct thickness?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Checking thickness of the web when drilling ramrod
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:30:22 AM »
Draw the desired position of the ramrod and the barrel profile if you like on the side of the stock.  Use this to determine if the drill is on course.  If measuring from the top of the forestock, you can ignore the barrel channel bottom.  Drill holes, measure from top of forestock to bottom of ramrod hole, transfer measurement to side of stock and compare to drawing.

Bioprof

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 06:00:12 AM »
Thanks.  Your explanation makes sense. 

I originally made my pattern for the stock from a picture of the original, and didn't leave any extra wood on the bottom of the lower forestock.   Of course, this means that I don't have much margin for error in drilling the ramrod hole.  I inletted the swamped barrel by hand, so I'd hate to mess it up with all the work I've done already.

omark

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 08:04:40 AM »
Thanks.  Your explanation makes sense. 

I originally made my pattern for the stock from a picture of the original, and didn't leave any extra wood on the bottom of the lower forestock.   Of course, this means that I don't have much margin for error in drilling the ramrod hole.  I inletted the swamped barrel by hand, so I'd hate to mess it up with all the work I've done already.

you probably allready know this, but if you should happen to come out the bottom, just put a wear plate on it.     mark